cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing a contract in which no money has been paid hurt my JSS?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
1 of 26

About two weeks ago I was hired by a client who said he would be sending me the work he wanted me to do in the near future. What I've discovered recently is that he has also hired a second freelancer to do the same work for 1/3 less than I charge. 

I am assuming that the work I was expecting to receive from this client may never materialize.

My question is this: Will it hurt my JSS to close a contract in which no money has been paid?  Also, will it hurt my JSS to have an open contract that is inactive? I'm not sure what to do in this case.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 26

Renata S wrote:

1) My question is this: Will it hurt my JSS to close a contract in which no money has been paid?  2) Also, will it hurt my JSS to have an open contract that is inactive?

1) Yes.

2) Yes, if nothing was ever paid, it will: depending on whether it is hourly or fixed rate after 60-90 days.

Never accept a contract until you have what you need to start working and either finish a first milestone or log some time.

Community Guru
3 of 26

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

1) My question is this: Will it hurt my JSS to close a contract in which no money has been paid?  2) Also, will it hurt my JSS to have an open contract that is inactive?

1) Yes.

2) Yes, if nothing was ever paid, it will: depending on whether it is hourly or fixed rate after 60-90 days.

Never accept a contract until you have what you need to start working and either finish a first milestone or log some time.

How much do I have to earn for it not to be a problem? Can I tell the client to pay me a nominal amount, for instance $1 or something, just so that I can close out the contract without it affecting my score? 

Community Guru
4 of 26

Renata S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Renata S wrote:

1) Yes.

How much do I have to earn for it not to be a problem? Can I tell the client to pay me a nominal amount, for instance $1 or something, just so that I can close out the contract without it affecting my score? 

Yes, that is what I've done not that long ago. The client's project fell through between him hiring me one evening and the work starting the next morning. I had him pay me a couple of Dollars and the contract was neutralised.

Ambrož B wrote:

Renata,

Yes it will hurt (especially if it is fixed-price, because on hour paid contract you can still try to log some minutes, but with fixed-price you cannot).

With fixed rate you can submit for a Dollar as a retainer...

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
5 of 26
So what’s the wise play here? Ask for the payment I get but do you want the client to close the contract? Would it be better to avoid the feedback?
Community Guru
6 of 26

Mark F wrote:
So what’s the wise play here? Ask for the payment I get but do you want the client to close the contract? Would it be better to avoid the feedback?

Why would you get poor feedback? Chances are the client won't leave any because they are embarrassed that they hired someone and never came through, so I'd get something paid and then close it myself.

Community Guru
7 of 26
I really wouldn’t want any feedback, what could they say that would be of use really?
Community Guru
8 of 26

Mark F wrote:
I really wouldn’t want any feedback, what could they say that would be of use really?

"I have to really apologize to Renata for being a complete dipstick and messing her around. She was nothing but patient while I, devoid of any clue as I am,  blundered my way through hiring a freelancer , and I shall be eternally grateful to her. Once I have removed my head from my backside and grown up, I look forward to working with her on a future project if she'll have me, which she probably won't, and quite rightly so."

Community Guru
9 of 26
LOL, well that would be kind of fun to have on the profile.
Community Guru
10 of 26

Mark F wrote:

Oddly enough, even in cases where no work has been done and no money is paid out, the client still gets to leave internal feedback. That might have a more profound effect on the points dropping. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS