cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will ending a contract effect the JS?

Ace Contributor
Sonal V Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
1 of 21
I need advice! I was hired for a fixed price job but since then I have not heard from the client, work has not been assigned and due date has already passed. I have messaged him several times but there is no response, what is strange i feel he has hired many contractors for the same job & and some have also finished with great feedback , but he is unresponsive to me . If I close the contract will it effect my JS ?
Ace Contributor
Salman M Member Since: Feb 15, 2015
2 of 21

Sometimes clients do this to get free samples from several developers and choose one. Unfortunately if you end the contract it will affect your js. So I guess just leave it.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 21

Hello Sonal, sorry to hear about your trouble, but that sort of behaviour is comon on Upwork. In short, yes it will affect your JS directly and indiretly. You can read this post Here in its entirety because it has alot of useful information. Here is a quote from Garnor

First, we acknowledge the core issue you've highlighted here. That is, unresponsive clients who don't leave final ratings are problematic. However, I'll reiterate that for the vast majority of freelancers these don't factor into your Job Success score because the "no feedback" jobs are such a small portion of your overall track record. In fact we specifically ensure these jobs have no negative impact on your Job Success score. It appears many freelancers may be overstating the significance of this scenario.

For others, where the job is ongoing, a long history of work with a client indicates to us there's a good relationship and you're gaining the benefit of this long-term engagement and not getting negatively impacted by a lack of final ratings.

However, when a freelancer has a disproportionately high share of "no feedback" jobs it constitutes a pattern which reflects itself in the Job Success Score.

-------------------------------

Now, to dig into a couple of the points you outlined in your post:

Your first suggestion here is great! We encourage all freelancers to heed this advice: 

That is: Contact the client and respectfully request that the contract be closed if there is no immediate plan for any continued work. Also indicate that leaving a fair review helps clients, freelancers and the platform.

The steps that follow however, (contact Customer Support to help get your contract closed) won't necessarily help. Even if  our Customer Support team actually closes the contract (which they sometimes do), this not going to affect the final ratings on the job. Because CS cannot mark it as "completed successfully" or give final ratings, you're not going to gain any benefit in your Job Success score.

Finally, you've listed four factors as negatively affecting your Job Success score. There's some misinformation there, so I'd like to clarify:

1. If a freelancer closes a contract, it does not directly impact your Job Success score. The absence of client feedback might, just like in the case when Customer Support closes the contract. 
  2. If a client ends a contract, they can't avoid leaving final ratings. We force them to leave a review. That is why freelancers are better off asking the client to end the contract. 
  3. Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad, but not prolonged, active contracts. If you're earning money and working on a job for a long period of time, (regardless of whether or not you get those end of contract ratings) that's actually a good thing and will reflect positively in your Job Success score.  

I hope this helps address and clarify some of the points you've listed. 

This should shed some light.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Esthrel B Member Since: Feb 3, 2018
4 of 21

I need advice! I was hired for a fixed price job and I'm been doing my work. Unfortunately, I was advised by my doctor to take a rest due to health problem, because of this I won't be able to finish my contract. I have messaged and called my client several times but there is no response. If I close the contract will it affect my JS and rating? or should I wait for him to close the contract?  

Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
5 of 21

Hi Esthrel,

We are sorry to hear about your health problem. On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. A freelancer’s Job Success Score reflects their reputation on Upwork based on direct client feedback and other indicators of client satisfaction. If you are after for the feedback, you may wait until the client responds and let him/her end the contract. Check this article on how JSS is being calculted.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 21

The JSS is calculated mainly by the clients rating. (The are more things to it but you never learn all of them.)

The worst case when you close the contract is you won't get paid for any work done so far and get a terrible rating when you close the job.

The worst case when the client closes the contract is you won't get paid for any work done so far and get a terrible rating when he closes the job.

It really is up to the client and all we can do is speculate.

I am not sure if you could delay the project because the client is unavailable. Maybe you can finish the job with an extended deadline when you take it slow? You client might still rate that against you but you finished the job and will get paid. Maybe you can agree on a refund in exchange for an extended deadline. There are options. Check former reviews of the client to get a feeling.

I think you have to figure out for yourself first how long your rest will be and if you might be able to work slow in the meantime.

Highlighted
Allison P Member Since: Apr 15, 2019
7 of 21

Question in Response to:

"Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad, but not prolonged, active contracts. If you're earning money and working on a job for a long period of time, (regardless of whether or not you get those end of contract ratings) that's actually a good thing and will reflect positively in your Job Success score.  "

This I don't get. 

I have high ratings from all of my clients. One client hasn't left feedback. I have 2 clients who I have enjoyed a looong relationship with. However, for some reason, my JSS is 70% which is actively keeping me from getting more work. So, please explain to me how prolonged active contracts are supposedly a good thing?

I have mostly 5 star ratings. My star ratings average out at 4.8 something because one recent client and I didn't see eye to eye on communcation standards. I left him a 2.5 rating. He left me a 3.5 rating. I have 2 long-term contracts which ARE ACTIVE!!!! How is my JSS at 70% if the 2 prolonged active contracts aren't negatively impacting my JSS? 

Even with the one very recent 3.5 star rating, my JSS shoulnd't be so low. This makes absolutley no sense, and it makes me VERY angry. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 21

Allison P wrote:

How is my JSS at 70% if the 2 prolonged active contracts aren't negatively impacting my JSS? 

Even with the one very recent 3.5 star rating, my JSS shoulnd't be so low. This makes absolutley no sense, and it makes me VERY angry. 

It is not 70% - it is 75%.

Have you taken a look at your private feedback percentage? (The "clients who would recommend" percentage on your My Stats page which reflects the private feedback your clients left.)

The ongoing contracts are categorically not hurting your JSS, they are not helping it yet either (they start to count positively after 3 months of activity)

Is there a contract that has been open for 2+ months but never had anything paid on it? Any job that closed without payment or fully refunded?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
9 of 21

This thing with unresponsive clients and us getting punished for that is so UNFAIR!

10 of 21
Omg😱 it will effect my JS weather I close the contract or not ! I just started working here😥
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS