🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Will my Enterprise contract auto-close, or no...
Page options
sgacreative
Community Member

Will my Enterprise contract auto-close, or not?

I have a contract with an Enterprise client, and we need a little extra time.  Okay.

Then I started receiving emails from Upwork:

"Your contract.... will end on Aug 18, 2021 as specified in the contract terms.  Still want to work with this client?  Don't worry, they'll be able to request a new engagement with you in the future, if needed.

"Before closing this job, be sure to complete and submit all work to the client.  And also remember to leave feedback for the client when you close this job.  If not, the Upwork Compliance team will close this job on Aug 18, 2021, and you won't be able to provide feedback."

My client spoke with Upwork support at length on the phone, asking how to change the ending date.  They assured her that they would fix it for her, but the ending date hasn't changed.

I spoke with Upwork support at length on chat, and they didn't even know what I was talking about.  They insisted that contracts ONLY end if (A) the client/freelancer clicks "end contract," or (B) the project goes dormant for 90 days.  And when I quoted the email to them, they told me to simply ignore it.

I even checked the Community forums, where I found two relevant threads.

In one, a moderator from Upwork assured the freelancer that there's nothing to worry about, contracts don't end automatically, and you always have two weeks to leave feedback after a contract ends.  (A whole conversation follows about phrasing notifications better.)

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Warning-for-enterprise-freelancers/td-p/449923

And in the other, a community manager (also from Upwork) assured the freelancer that Enterprise contracts do indeed auto-close, "unless they are extended by the client."  (Which, of course, my client has already tried, and failed, to do.)

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-do-Enterprise-contracts-close-automatically/m-p/8883...

So. 

Will my Enterprise contract auto-close tomorrow, or not?

If it does, will the client and I still have a chance to leave feedback, or not?

And either way, why does there seem to be so much confusion about this inside Upwork support?

This is not the crisp, professional impression I wanted to make on a big client.

1 REPLY 1
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Steve, 

Generally, a contract with Enterprise clients would auto-close. However, the client can have it extended and I see that our team is assisting your client with that directly. I'll also follow up with the team and share your concerns with them. We'll provide an update directly via the support ticket you already have open about this issue.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members