🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Will removing feedback change my JSS?
Page options
ani_mator
Community Member

Will removing feedback change my JSS?

Hi there, I had a contract with the client and everything went smoothly. After closing the job, he left me a review 4,6 which is fine, but it affects my JSS. I'm still top-rated, but from 100% success, it decreased to 93%. So my question is, as a top-rated freelancer if I would just remove the feedback, will my JSS increase on 100% again or not? Thanks in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Miloš P wrote:

Hi there, I had a contract with the client and everything went smoothly. After closing the job, he left me a review 4,6 which is fine, but it affects my JSS. I'm still top-rated, but from 100% success, it decreased to 93%. So my question is, as a top-rated freelancer if I would just remove the feedback, will my JSS increase on 100% again or not? Thanks in advance

93% is still a good score. You COULD remove the feedback, but I would save my "perk" if I were you. You won't be able to use it again for (I think) another 10 contracts or three months, and what if you get an extremely difficult client within that time, who leaves you 1 or 2 star feedback? I wouldn't personally waste my perk unless I got a truly terrible review. There's nothing wrong with an occasional less-than-5-star rating; you can't win 'em all. 🙂 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
emonuzzamanmd
Community Member

These lines may help you.

1. Specify "JSS Only" OR "Hide from Profile and JSS"
    1. JSS Only – Your public work history won't change. Your profile will still show the public feedback rating, comment, and any response
    2. Hide on Profile – Your public work history will change. We'll hide the feedback rating and comment from your Work History and replace it with "This feedback has been removed". Any responses to the original feedback will continue to be visible.

The contract will remain visible in your work history and will continue to count towards your total number of jobs. The "removed" job will be excluded from your JSS either way. The feedback will also remain visible in the client's work history.

So your JSS may not change but there will be no negative effect of the removed feedback on your JSS. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Miloš P wrote:

93% is still a good score. You COULD remove the feedback, but I would save my "perk" if I were you. You won't be able to use it again for (I think) another 10 contracts or three months, and what if you get an extremely difficult client within that time, who leaves you 1 or 2 star feedback? I wouldn't personally waste my perk unless I got a truly terrible review. There's nothing wrong with an occasional less-than-5-star rating; you can't win 'em all. 🙂 

I have lost my Top Rated badge. I did not know about this "perk" at that time. I wish if I knew that time. 

Thank you, you helped me to decide. It's better to leave it as it is, and save the perk for another case. Best regards!

Wise decision Minos. 

A client just left me a 4 star review despite my all attempts to satisfy him and do reworks. I want to know if I remove the feedback right away, will it still impact my JSS?

24, 2019 09:02:08 PM by Lubna Z
A client just left me a 4 star review despite my all attempts to satisfy him and do reworks. I want to know if I remove the feedback right away, will it still impact my JSS?

Lubna Z wrote:

Not if you get it removed before the JSS updates on Sunday. Otherwise it may drop, then go back to what it would have been without that contract at the next update. I'd suggest you only remove the JSS impact, not the feedback itself. A 4 with no comments looks better than a "This feedback has been removed!"

How do we remove the JSS impact only?

Lubna Z wrote:
How do we remove the JSS impact only?

When you request to use your top rated perk, just specify that you want to exclude the contract from your JSS calculation, but not remove the public feedback.

The earnings against this contract are not impacted? Or do they?

Lubna Z wrote:
The earnings against this contract are not impacted? Or do they?

Not at all.

Read more about it here

Hi, Lubna.

If the feedback has already negatively affected your JSS as of the last time your JSS was updated, using either of the available options for removing the negative feedback will likely positively affect your ongoing JSS.

But if the most recent bi-weekly calculation of your JSS resulted in your JSS dropping below 90 on the day of calculations then your "Top Rated eligible weeks" (on your My Stats page) will drop and stay at the lower number, regardless whether you successfully remove the feedback.

Since the minimum allowable "Top Rated eligible weeks" is 13 out of 16, you would still be at risk of losing your "Top Rated" status if you have additional sufficiently negative feedback out to Week 16. Again removing negative feedback between Weeks 13 and 16 (after the three months have passed since you used the perk and it is again available to you), would not prevent you from losing your "Top Rated" status.

Only you can decide if using the removal perk now is best or keeping your powder dry as long as your JSS has remained above 90 is the right way to go. With the invisible private feedback being so important to the calculation of the JSS, it can be a bit of gamble deciding when to use the feedback remove perk.

Good luck.

(If  I got any of the facts wrong here, I'll look forward to being corrected so we all know exactly how multiple elements of the JSS calculation work when using the TR perk.)

Will L wrote:

If the feedback has already negatively affected your JSS as of the last time your JSS was updated, using either of the available options for removing the negative feedback will likely positively affect your ongoing JSS.

The client only just left the feedback, so it can not have affected her JSS yet.

Will L wrote:

But if the most recent bi-weekly calculation of your JSS resulted in your JSS dropping below 90 on the day of calculations then your "Top Rated eligible weeks" (on your My Stats page) will drop and stay at the lower number, regardless whether you successfully remove the feedback.

Her JSS is 96% and she has completed 29 jobs. This won't drop her below 90%

Lubna, the client has a history of not leaving such great feedback. I would suggest you WAIT until Sunday to see if there is any impact on your JSS at all. It is possible that the client's feedback is not counted anyway.

In future, pay close attention to the feedback a client left his previous freelancers. I'd never have accepted a contract from this one!

The current feedback has not been calculated. It will get calculated on Sunday's JSS. Do you think removing it will help me now?

FYI- I just got 5 stars on 2 of the jobs that just closed.

Lubna Z wrote:
The current feedback has not been calculated. It will get calculated on Sunday's JSS. Do you think removing it will help me now?

Lubna, I would wait until Sunday evening to see how much, if at all, the contract affects your JSS. Then you can make an informed decision whether it is worth using your perk, considering you can not use it again for 3 months and 10 contracts.

If your JSS drops more than 2 or 3 points you may want to use the perk, otherwise maybe save it for if you encounter a really horrid client. There is no real advantage to using it now (at worst you'll have a slightly lower JSS for a couple of weeks)

Lubna,

Your clients will leave both public and private feedback, if they are the ones who close a project. If you close a project, clients apparently have no obligation to leave feedback (and many don't, in my experience).

We have been told many times on this board that the most important of the two types of client feedback is the private feedback, which no freelancer can ever see.

And Upwork has no requirement that a client leave public and private feedback on a completed project that is consistent, so a client can give you a 5 star rating on public feedback and a much lower rating on the more important private feedback and it's possible you'll be none the wiser.

If you can arrange the closing of your projects such that you only have one close per JSS period (every two weeks), you will have a much better chance to identify a specific client when their feedback has a negative effect on your JSS for that period.

If you have multiple projects close in a particular two-week period, all give you a public rating of 5 stars and your JSS nevertheless drops, you may have no way of knowing which feedback to delete, if that option is available to you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members