🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wire Secure Messenger?
Page options
melaniekhenson
Community Member

Wire Secure Messenger?

Hi, everyone. It's been a while!

I don't consider myself backward or anything when it comes to apps and messaging, but this one is new for me. I had a client contact me regarding a proposal and she asked that I speak to her supervisor via Wire Secure Messenger.

I don't have this and I asked her if we can speak in the chat instead.

She was very insistent. Wire Secure Messenger, period. She then told me, "Get the app."

Is this normal? Is this how the kids do things nowadays? Smiley Very Happy 

FWIW, I've been freelancing for 21 years, have been on UW for several years, and work fairly consistently here.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for you to communicate with a prospective client outside of the Upwork Messages tool.

You could be suspended or otherwise penalized if you are caught doing that.

After you have been officially hired using an Upwork contract, then you may communicate with any tool that you and the client want to use.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for you to communicate with a prospective client outside of the Upwork Messages tool.

You could be suspended or otherwise penalized if you are caught doing that.

After you have been officially hired using an Upwork contract, then you may communicate with any tool that you and the client want to use.

Hi, Preston. Long time no see.

I can't imagine why I didn't know that. I don't think I actually have communicated outside of the rooms before accepting assignments, so I'm good. And I remember something about Google Hangouts being scam-aceous but hadn't heard anything about this particular service.

Appreciate it.

The rule was implemented on June 26, 2020.

If you have an actual contract, then you can use "Wire Secure Messenger" or anything else.

For the record, I have never heard of "Wire Secure Messenger" either.

roberty1y
Community Member

I'm surprised the scammers picked you, because they usually home in on new freelancers. I think the reason they so urgently want people to contact them off the site is because they know they'll be kicked off it at any minute, and they want to be able to continue working on you when they're gone. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members