cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawal fee $30?

Amra S Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
1 of 24

I just went to reports page to withdraw money to my account. But, the fee is 30 dollars. 

Don't get me wrong, I know fee has to be paid, but 30 dollars is just too much.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
2 of 24

What withdraw option you chose? Directly to card in a bank? That costs more.

Try other options (PayPal, Payoneer).

3 of 24

That's the fee for an international wire transfer (USD). And that's the fee I pay each month, because Mozambique has no better options Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 24
I don't think oDesk makes money on these fees. They're simply passing on the expense that they are charged for these types of transfers.

If they were trying to make money on withdrawal fees, they would charge for all withdrawals, and I am charged nothing.

Can I ask what may be a dumb question, but I would really like an answer?

Why don't contractors in areas with such high fees simply set up bank accounts in the U.S. and then have their oDesk earnings transferred to those accounts without fees?
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
5 of 24

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to set up a US bank account without a US work permit or residence permit or something like that Smiley Wink Plus to transfer that to my account here would also cost money (I think).

Correct me if I'm wrong though. It would be nice to know of alternatives.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 24

Do you have Paypal in your country? Because if so, it will probably be much much cheaper, and maybe even free. It works very well for a lot of European members, though I understand it will differ between countries.

Community Guru
7 of 24

Nope, Paypal informed me that they're having issues with Moz cards. But I am in the process of working that out with my bank.

Community Guru
8 of 24
Isabelle, for the record, it is entirely legal and possible to have a U.S. bank account without living in the United States. Many banks issue bank accounts to customers who present passports an other identification, without needing a social security number.

If you used your U.S. Bank account to pay credit card balances, you would never need to transfer money to your local bank.
Community Guru
9 of 24

Preston, thanks for the clarification.

Don't you need to be there or provide a US address when you open the account though? And does it depend on having a personal or company account? Any advice would be appreciated.

It's a little complicated here because I have an Indian passport but a Mozambican residence permit. Having a US account could be problematic when it comes to paying Moz tax. Plus I don't use/have a credit card - I just do withrawals.

But I guess I should look into that!

Community Guru
10 of 24
re: "Don't you need to be there or provide a US address when you open the account though?"

Probably.
Look, I'm not an expert on this AT ALL. So don't take advice from me on this. But from what I have read, it is pretty routine for non-U.S. citizens to open up and maintain bank accounts in the United States if they have a U.S. address or if they open up the bank account in person.

But you don't need to be a citizen or permanent resident.

Bring a bunch of cash and a passport to the right bank, and you will be able to open a account.

But, yeah, I get it that this means physically travelling to the United States.

There probably ARE ways to legitimately and completely legally open up a bank account with a U.S. bank without travelling here, but I don't know for sure. I'm no expert.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS