🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Withdrawal is currently restricted on you...
Page options
rrantonio
Community Member

Withdrawal is currently restricted on your account. Please contact Upwork Support.

Me and my other 5 colleagues got SCAMMED by this **edited for Community Guidelines**. We were asked to do a job that happened 3 months ago! And then we received an email from support that our payment process has been restricted and there was a chargeback! This is really unfair! We did our jobs properly, we even worked all night for that and now we were asked to pay them back?! This is really frustrating and disappointing on our end! I have been with oDesk/Upwork for 8 years now!!! And never have I had a record that I am not doing my job properly and this is what I get in return???!!! THIS IS NOT FAIR AT ALL!!!

10 REPLIES 10
katrinabeaver
Community Member

How did your other five colleagues get scammed. You are an individual freelancer.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

All of us were freelancers too. We were hired all at eh same time as an
Individual freelancers.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Richelle, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. I can see that a member of the Social Media Team is currently assisting you. I would recommend that you continue communicating with the team so that the team handling your case can continue assisting you more efficiently. 

I will follow up with them so that they can get back to you the soonest. 

~ Avery
Upwork
rrantonio
Community Member

Thank you so much for the assistance. This is just unexpected. I never
thought that Upwork has this kind of policy. They should have something
like a warning before they restrict the account to withdraw immediately so
we or other people who will experience this kind of matter in the future
will have the chance to defend themselves right away.

Did you ever get your money? The same thing is happening to me right now and I showed proof of work and everything. Now Upwork is trying to "rebuttal" the clients bank. 

How long after were you able to withdrawal your earnings? This is ridiculous. 

Yes I did. I contacted upwork, sent them detailed info about my case, they
replied every after 30 mins to an hour though and gave me one time
approval, said they won't do this again. Lifting up my restriction.
kat303
Community Member

This has Nothing to do with doing your job properly, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of your job or that your completed the job. Most likely the client even liked what you delivered and thanked you. This has everything to do with the client. 

It could have been a lost or stolen card. or that the client did not have any authorization to use the card.  It has everything to do with a chargeback being issued. Maybe he is a scammer, a thief, or just didn't have the right to use the card for that purpose. 

A chargeback can happen anywhere. On this site, on other freelancer sites, even in the B&M Word. I myself have issued a chargeback. One for an online purchase that was defective and the seller did not want to return my money, and the other 2 for merchandise that I never bought (and was purchased in another state)

What happens is that the bank that issued the card contacts Upwork. And Upwork out of their own pocket issued that refund to the bank. Now Upwork is out of the money, so Upwork then takes the money from the freelancer. You may not like that procedure, I don't like that procedure. But that's how Upwork operates. They say..... they will pursue it. I don't know, I have never heard of anyone involved in a chargeback, either on this site or another site, ever coming back and saying they they were able to recoup the money.

What I would Love to happen is that Upwork after taking money from the freelancer, give the freelancer ALL, every single bit of information they have on the client, The clients address, bank account numbers, charge card numbers etc so that the Freelancer Who Provided the Services can go after the client. Because it was the freelancer who delivered the services and it is the freelancer who has ended up repaying. The freelancer should be able to get the information and defend themselves. 

THANK YOU!!! That’s exactly what I think as well. I would like all the responses and information between the bank/upwork/client. I’ve never had this happen before. The client even said himself that he requested a chargeback from his bank. That’s not right at all!

It’s so sucky that I can’t withdrawal the money from my account and it’s put on “hold” for 45 days til the bank decides an answer.

Thank you again for your response.

Even now I'm facing this issue..
Client made a chargeback after 20 day..and now upwork put my withdrawal activity on hold..
The client seems to be a scammer he doesn't respond at all..
I asked upwork to file a rebuttal..

Just curios to know if anyone reclaimed the money-back by filing rebuttal?

Hi SaiAkhil,

I checked, and the team is already assisting you directly regarding your concern. One of our team members will update your ticket to assist you further. Thank you! 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths