Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawal problem!

thelonemerchant
Majd B Member Since: Feb 1, 2016
1 of 13

Hello readers,

I seem to have fallen into a problem. I was browsing around the upwork community posts, to look for answers on multiple uncertainties I had regarding the site, and I stumbled upon something that messed up my plans. So I just completed 2 jobs 3 days ago, and have understood from previous posts that the pending duration for fixed priced jobs take 6 days to complete, I came across a reply from an upwork moderator's comment, which stated that the the freelancer must be the owner of the bank account to which he wants the money withdrawn from, and I have some legal issues with that, long story short my bank account is frozen, I thought I could withdraw the money from a freind's account. 

So summarizing, my question is:

can I withdraw money from a small business' bank account, with which I am not affiliated? (of course with the business owner's approval), and if possible, will there be any aditional taxes other than the VAT (I live in Romania, which is a part of the EU). In case that is not possible, is there any other way in which I can extract the money from through another entity?

I am sorry for the long post, but I am simply a newbie here on upwork, so any tips would be greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 13

Use paypal

thelonemerchant
3 of 13

can I use another person's paypal to withdraw?

thelonemerchant
4 of 13

Thanks for the input Teffany!

I wish I could work something with my bank, but the problem doesn't stem from them, I am batteling the romanian goverment in courts over a tax issue, so there is nothing really I could possibly do in order to unfreeze my bank account. 

Btw if I have to pay my own taxes, what is the VAT tax for then? and why do people not in the E.U. get to not pay them?

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
5 of 13

You're treated like an "independent businessman" here; just like everyone else.

Everyone's country expects to get income tax; you're expected to report income to YOUR government (including Upwork income); and they WILL go after you if they find out you are "avoiding taxes".

Upwork is not here to help people to skip paying taxes. If you live in the US, they have to report to the government; a matter of time before other countries sign on I expect in some form or other.

thelonemerchant
6 of 13

kind of irrelevant to the question, I know I have to pay taxes, but if each freelancer pays their taxes to their countries accordingly, why do SOME have to pay the VAT ? which I think is 2% of any earnings 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 13

re: "can I use another person's paypal to withdraw?"

What? No.

Why would you even think that?

Upwork hates it when users try to play games with their identities.

You can do work under your own name. You can create a profile under your own name. You can withdraw money to an account that is in your name.

ghulam59
Ghulam H Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
8 of 13
2 day left payment is not send on my direct local bank i was contact my bank there was no issue please help me
Email was receive from upwork
Payment was sucessfully sent on your bank but not sent untill
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 13

Hi Ghulam,

I see you have initiated a withdrawal yesterday. Is that the transaction you are referring to? Please, note that Direct to Local Bank transfers can take up to 4 business days to be processed. If you don't receive the money after 8 days, please let us know and we'll be able to initiate a trace.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Majd,

You have to be a holder (or have a joint ownership) of the bank account that you use for withdrawals. Your name on Upwork account and bank account has to match in order for you to withdraw your funds. Please check this help article for more information.

Upwork has to charge VAT on the Upwork service fee, premium Upwork memberships, and purchases of Connects unless you provide a valid VAT number. You can find more information here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS