cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawl on hold for additional review?

r0p3
Ace Contributor

Hey,

I just wanted to express my feelings about 'Withdrawal is on hold' as I dont see anything else I can do.

So I had bills to cover today, so I told my clients to pay me on 15th, as its fixed-price contract the money would be proccessed on 20th. Well what a shockar to find out that half of the money will be available tomorrow (no big deal but it said 20th in the report section for 4 days), so I contact UW support to atleast get an information on why is it taking a day longer for the other half (it was payed as a bonus and it was billed on 16th apperantly no worries). When I tried to withdrawal frist half that is aavailable, my my what a shocker:

*Your payment is on hold for further review*

And in the email among others it says : If you don't hear back from us within 2 business days.

REALLY? 2 DAYS?

Thanks for rewarding all my hard work I did trough Upwork with electricity being cut.

Cheers!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
imakeinternet
Community Leader

Hi Petar,  Unfortunately Upwork does not take in to consideration your personal problems when transfering money.  These rules are in place to prevent fraud and abuse and to ensure trust worthiness of the company.  Patience is key here.

View solution in original post

216 REPLIES 216

I pity those with very common surnames that are on that list.

I submitted a ticket after this also happened to me. I asked to be notified if I needed to submit additional documents immediately, as I don't want this happening again. Then I was told I was also potentially on this list? But I didn't understand, so I submitted a new ticket with additional questions. I was sent the same exact automated response for my second ticket, and none of my questions were answered. I felt very invisible in this moment.

Why is this happening now? I have been with Upwork for nearly a year and have never run into this problem. I requested a payment on the 15th with no problem, then the ones on the 19th and 21st ran into the same notification. Only today are both payments showing as processing in my bank account... but I wouldn't know that at all if I didn't check it directly...

I just don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden?

petra_r
Community Guru

@Wanda S wrote:

1)  I asked to be notified if I needed to submit additional documents immediately, as I don't want this happening again.

2) Then I was told I was also potentially on this list

3) Why is this happening now? I have been with Upwork for nearly a year and have never run into this problem.

4) I just don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden?

1) It may happen every time you withdraw... OFAC Compliance

2) Check if someone with the same surname is on the searchable database

3) New legislation

4) New legislation

Hi Petra, thank you very much for actually answering my questions.

My last name is not in the database, though...

Either way, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

sam-sly
Community Guru

@Wanda S wrote:

Hi Petra, thank you very much for actually answering my questions.

My last name is not in the database, though...

Either way, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

Wanda, my last name isn't in the database either, but a rep did confirm that is why I am having this issue.

Someone in another group posted a link to a PDF. I used the "find" function and searched for multiple variations of my last name (I changed one or two letters). When I played with variations I did find some vaguely similar names on the list. My guess is the algorithm looks for variations of spelling for each name. Afterall, many of these names originate from languages that do not use the same alphabet so spellings can vary. (I am not a translator so I may be phrasing this incorrectly). Here is the link with the PDF: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/SDN-List/Pages/default.aspx

The withdrawal I initiated Saturday appeared in my bank account today (it was cleared by Upwork on Sunday). I suspect my second withdrawal (cleared yesterday) will appear either tomorrow or the next day. So I can confirm the money does go through, it just takes 1-2 days longer (so far) compared to before they started doing this. It is annoying, but it is what it is. 

Samatha,

Thanks for the info. I actually had done a bit more research and checked the PDF too when the database didn't bring up any results. Good resource for those who doesn't know what's going on!

You're right, though... it is what it is.

janekenney95
Active

The title really says it all.

I tried to release the already-processed funds from my Upwork account into my PayPal account, but I was given the error message saying, "Unfortunately, we were unable to process your transaction. Your account is being reviewed. We may need to verify your identity information. Please check your email for the detailed next steps. If you don’t hear back within 2 business days, please contact us."

Then the title of the email I received read, "Your payment is on hold for further review". Why could this be? I've been releasing my funds with no problem since November 2017 and I've never gotten this message before. 

Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks. 

Hi Jane,

Cause of legal regulations that Upwork needs to comply with, the hold will happen for each withdrawal for some freelancers. The review should be completed and the payment will be processed within one business day as per usual. We are also working on streamlining this process to reduce the future wait time for the holds. Thank you!

~Nina

My name isn't on the OFAC list. Will this happen with every withdrawal I make in the future? My Paypal just got approved but my bank is now under additional review. This is kind of ridiculous - if I get approved once shouldn't that prove I'm good? 

I think any "streamlining" needs to be a way to exempt people reviewed and found legitimate from further review in the absence of new issues?

I just had this problem today, I got the same message from Upwork when trying to withdraw my money to my local bank. After a few minutes reading here in this thread, I checked my email again and got the message "requested payment of $$$$ from Upwork via Direct to Local Bank Transfer account." I checked my Upwork and the money is no longer there, it seems they are already transferring it to my local bank. 

I think I won't have to go through verification anymore.

classysnobbb
Community Leader
I'm having this same issue. Withdrew funds to my PayPal account but no confirmation email from Upwork.

Hello Gabrielle,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. I just checked your account and I could see that your problem is now resolved. Thank you

Untitled
tgano
Community Guru

UPDATE: I just recieved the confirm email, so they are still being sent...taking much longer than in the past.

I withdrew my money and I have not gotten any kind of confirmation email, I used to get it within seconds at most 5 minutes.

HOW are we supposed to know where our money is in the process with this HUGE change to withdrawals? 

How long before we get an email confirming our withdrawal? 

Word to upworks....you need to be PROACTIVE on this....our money is not something any of us want trifled with!!

I just did mine seconds ago to, I still haven't gotten my earnings in my Paypal account or an email 

It seems to be happening across the board and the radio silence from upworks is UNACCAPETBALE!!!!!

same here no confirmation / notifications yet

Any progress here?

Same problem here. Usually it will notify on my email and then it will hit on my paypal. But now, still now signs of my funds in paypal.

Same problem here, any mail or anything.

it's been 38mins and still no confirmation from upwork... this is really not acceptable.. they are charging us freelancers so much and yet a simple transfer is a hard time/headache

Mark Cuesta

Got same problem here, no confirmation email for my withdrawal.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS