🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Wonder what it takes!
Page options
smsshankar
Community Member

Wonder what it takes!

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my proposals or my profile? I've sent more than 50+ proposals, but except 1 (last year), none of were converted in to an interview or being contacted for preliminary screening.

Trust me, I dont copy pase the proposals from internet, I type every proposal tailer made according to the requirements of the Job description. 

Also, 50% of the offers are targeted for Philippines workers (I'm from India), and I understand this will leads to unneccassary topics. I understand that low rate-high skill concept... We agree for the same rate too with the same commitment. Anyway leave it.

Next, around 20-30% targets top earners/Rising talents etc, and 10-15% job offers has very vague descriptions, still sending proposals knowing that it wont be read.

I'm totally frustrated and confused. But I will not give up now, I will continue trying.

But still, you know I can only wonder WHY.

🙂

16 REPLIES 16
pudingstudio
Community Member

Lakshmi S wrote:

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my proposals or my profile? I've sent more than 50+ proposals, but except 1 (last year), none of were converted in to an interview or being contacted for preliminary screening.

Trust me, I dont copy pase the proposals from internet, I type every proposal tailer made according to the requirements of the Job description. 

Also, 50% of the offers are targeted for Philippines workers (I'm from India), and I understand this will leads to unneccassary topics. I understand that low rate-high skill concept... We agree for the same rate too with the same commitment. Anyway leave it.

Next, around 20-30% targets top earners/Rising talents etc, and 10-15% job offers has very vague descriptions, still sending proposals knowing that it wont be read.

I'm totally frustrated and confused. But I will not give up now, I will continue trying.

But still, you know I can only wonder WHY.

Attaching my resume here just in case 🙂

Why..?

smsshankar
Community Member

What you mean by "Why". 🤔

Lakshmi S wrote:

What you mean by "Why". 🤔

Why would you attach your resume here. This is community, jobs are on the other side of UpWork.

Now, after editing, your post looks more in line with forum.

smsshankar
Community Member

Yes I realised it today morning... and thanks.

Now coming back to my post.. can you please provide your insight?

smsshankar
Community Member

Hi,

Please help me out here!.

Thanks

Hi Lakshmi,

Thank you for your message. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your input, I will go throught these resources and understand what I should do better.

Thanks again.

Thank you for this. It means a lot.

elisa_b
Community Member

If I were you, I would try to add some portfolio examples and increase your rates.

$4.00/hour for a "professional" service? I understand that in some countries wages are lower, but there are typists and virtual assistants here asking much more.

In your profile description, try to concentrate more on what you do for the client, instead of describing your career path. And don't waste the first two lines of your description with a "Hi" and an empty row. Try to go straight to the point and persuade the client in the very first lines. 

Hi Elisa,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I never know about this "Hi" and an empty row will have some effect before. Now I know. Will rectify it. And I will work on better profile description.

Thanks.

spxpert
Community Member

It takes patience,  and trust me a lot of it.  Believe me no client will read through your profile beyond 3-4 lines,  that is your very tiny window of opportuntiy.  Make sure to start your introduction with answering "why hire you",  then add credentials like your experience, education and supporting things 

Hi Sudhir,

Thanks, your suggestions gave me some ideas. Will have to go back to the board and come up with some short and sweet drescriptions. 

Additonal suggestions are always welcome 🙂

Add video introduction,  that adds value to your credentials

Yes I'm working on that too. And I always had this doubt. As you see I created myt profile here when upwork was oDesk. But didnt really spent any effort here as my onsite job was demanding.

Now my doubt is that, my profile is considerably old and I dont have any work experience or any useful portfolio here to show to clients. Will this old profile - no work did thing is affecting my proposals with clients?

Like "Oh he is here for many years , but no work done.. so maybe he is not fit" like that?

I only give them a detailed cover letter about the jobs/projects I have had to deal with over the last 15 years or more. I am not so serious either, and certainly put your cost per hour up to at least $20 to 30 per hour you can always negotiate down or later. When they see you want  a good wage, they will think you are a professional. You do not get a professional for $5 per hour.

Hi Catherine,

Thanks, got it 👍

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths