Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Diary for Fixed Price Jobs?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natalie B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
1 of 5

I'm curious if I should be using the work diary for fixed price jobs? I've noticed that my profile says I've worked "17 hours", but I've only worked on 17 fixed price jobs. Obviously it's giving me one hour for each job worked. Most of my jobs have been more than one hour. Should I be using the Work Diary to log my hours even though the job is fixed price? Is it a benefit to me to show more hours worked on my profile? My clients so far haven't required any use of the work diary, so I just haven't bothered with it. I do log my hours for my own record keeping in an Excel file.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
2 of 5

No thoughts on this?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Natalie,

I see on your profile that you've worked on 25 jobs so far, 4 of which were Hourly and account for the 17 hours displayed in your Work History.

You can use Work View on Fixed-price jobs, but the hours you log won't be counted in your total hours worked.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 5

Okay, thanks for that info! I just used the Work Diary for a fixed price job, as I wanted some documentation for the client, so they could see how much/how hard I've been working on it. I think it's a bit silly that your profile only shows the hours you've worked on hourly jobs. I think that makes it look like I haven't put in hardly any hours on my jobs. If I as a worker didn't know that only hourly jobs count towards that number, how in the world would potential clients know??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 5

When you are hired for a fixed price job, you are being paid for results, not time spent.

If Freelancer A spends 10 minutes on a project and Freelancer B spends 10 hours, but Freelancer A produces a better result, Freelancer A deserves to be paid more. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS