cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Diary versus Privacy

smith_alan
Alan S Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
1 of 3

I am new to UpWork and I have serious privacy concerns about Work Diary. I hope someone can address the following concerns.

• Is the use of Work Diary optional or mandatory?
  • Can any client access my screen at any time or only when I'm logged in to his project?
  • Can any client access my screen if I am not looged in to UpWork?
  • Much of my type of work involves research on other sites. How will my client be aware of that?
  • Does my client have the right to nickle and dim me for every hour/minute/second if I am on an hourly rate?

Alan S

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 3

I don't work on hourly projects, but I'm pretty sure...

1. You don't have to use it, but then again, then the client doesn't have to pay you. The hourly work guarantee only applies to jobs that use the work diary thingy. 

2. Only when you're logged in, and only when you're logged in for a specific client/project. All your clients can't check out what you're been up to whenever you're logged in. 

3. No

4. The tracker work diary thingy runs in the background, so it will take screenshots of whatever you're working on. Upwork, Photoshop, Google, Word, People of Walmart... non-Upwork related sites will still be tracked, as it takes screenshots of your screen, not any specific site.

5. Yes and no. If you follow the rules and use tracker, work diary things, then you're guaranteed to get paid unless the client raises a dispute. The can however, query individual screenshots if it looks like you've been watching movies or checking your Facebook for example. You then remove that image from your timesheet type thing and 15 minutes is knocked off the bill. Best not to do those types of things when working for clients, as ten seconds looking at Facebook could cost you 15 minutes of cold, hard cash. 

Anyway, I'm sure someone will pop along and correct em if any of that isn't right. It's been a while since I've done hourly, and my knowledge is a bit Elance biased, so there might be some minor differences. But that gives you the general gist in the meantime.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 3

@Scott E wrote:

I don't work on hourly projects, but I'm pretty sure...

1. You don't have to use it, but then again, then the client doesn't have to pay you. The hourly work guarantee only applies to jobs that use the work diary thingy. 

2. Only when you're logged in, and only when you're logged in for a specific client/project. All your clients can't check out what you're been up to whenever you're logged in. 

3. No

4. The tracker work diary thingy runs in the background, so it will take screenshots of whatever you're working on. Upwork, Photoshop, Google, Word, People of Walmart... non-Upwork related sites will still be tracked, as it takes screenshots of your screen, not any specific site.

5. Yes and no. If you follow the rules and use tracker, work diary things, then you're guaranteed to get paid unless the client raises a dispute. The can however, query individual screenshots if it looks like you've been watching movies or checking your Facebook for example. You then remove that image from your timesheet type thing and 15 minutes is knocked off the bill. Best not to do those types of things when working for clients, as ten seconds looking at Facebook could cost you 15 minutes of cold, hard cash. 

Anyway, I'm sure someone will pop along and correct em if any of that isn't right. It's been a while since I've done hourly, and my knowledge is a bit Elance biased, so there might be some minor differences. But that gives you the general gist in the meantime.

Scott is pretty spot on.  I just wanted to add in the tracker's settings you can pick an option to only take a snapshot of the active window you are in, if you're worried about privacy.  I mostly work on hourly projects, and I have never had a client question me about my screenshots or time.  Just stick to the project at hand and you will have no problem.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS