🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Work acceptable?
Page options
yinnetteg
Community Member

Work acceptable?

I am new to Upwork. I am interested in finding out if the jobs for product reviews are acceptable. 

There are many clients who want to know if you have an Amazon account, for which they want a product Review. For this job to be done the freelancer must purchase the product and after completing the job the client reimburses the money you paid for the product plus includes the payment for the review.

Can I accept such jobs or not?

Otherwise why are these allowed to Ben posted on Upwork should I report them?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Solary G wrote:

I am new to Upwork. I am interested in finding out if the jobs for product reviews are acceptable. 

Can I accept such jobs or not?

No, they are a violation of Upwork's terms of Service, they are a vioaltion of Amazon's terms of service, freelancers should have the moral compass to understand that such a job would be unethical as hell even if allowed....

Amazon have already sued over 1000 freelancers... (from another platform though)

Solary G wrote:

Otherwise why are these allowed to Ben posted on Upwork should I report them?

They are NOT allowed and when flagged, they are taken down. Yes, should flag them as inappropriate.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Solary:

Upwork does not have a blanket prohibition against writing product reviews.

But Upwork has rules against violating other sites’ TOS, and Upwork specifically does not allow jobs that violate Amazon.com’s strict rules against paid product reviews.

So the jobs you are asking about? Yes, they violate Upwork TOS because they violate Amazon.com TOS.

But if a client wanted you to write a product review in a way that didn’t violate anyone’s TOS, that would be fine. I could (for example) create a website about cookies and ask you to review a new flavor of Oreos for my site.

Preston, the OP specifically talked about paid Amazon reviews, whose rules you call "very strict" but whose rules actually mirror those of most other marketplaces which have a review system in place.

So your cookie example is irrelevant.

That is correct:

The original poster asked about Amazon.com product reviews.

My example about cookies was added in order to provide clarification. This helps answer the unasked question: “I am interested in finding out if jobs for product reviews are acceptable.”

...which is not the same as (but potentially could be confused with):

“I am interested in finding out if the jobs for product reviews are acceptable...” [followed by additional context]

And it is true that Amazon.com’s rules are indeed strict. Not in the sense that they are more strict than similar product sales sites which have similar rules. Their rules are strict in the sense that they are very serious about their policies and they don’t leave any room for ambiguity or personal interpretation.

The vast majority of "product review jobs" are for Amazon.

In all the years I have encountered (and done) one review job which was for an online magazine and for a high end camera I already owned. EVERYTHING else I was invited to or applied for thinking it would be another one like the one I did (which was great fun and well paid) were "reviews" for Amazon or similar = forbidden.

There are also the "fake review" jobs for affiliate sites that link to Amazon products, which may not be outright forbidden, just totally unethical, but as you don't believe in ethics, I guess that is neither here nor there.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths