🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Work diary
Page options
brightkate
Community Member

Work diary

Hi, I’m still fairly new and all my jobs have been set rates except for my current one. I did 90 mins work - have I uploaded it correctly? Do I need to do any else or is it now up to the client? Thanks! Kate
6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

You have an hourly contract.

You worked while logging time, using the Upwork desktop time-tracker application.

THAT'S IT.

YOU don't do anything else.

The CLIENT does not do anything else.

You automatically get paid. It's very simple.

JoanneP

Hi Kate,

I checked, and it looks like you are referring to your hourly contract. Please know that for hourly contracts, you will log time using the Upwork Time Tracker App. You need to download the App from here. To log your time, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Upwork desktop app
  2. Log into your Upwork account
  3. Select the correct contract
  4. Click the On/Off toggle switch to turn on logging
  5. Click the What are you working on? box to enter a memo and/or activity label

You can add manual time so long as your client allows, but please note that this is not covered by hourly protection. I encourage you to review this post and the freelancer resources to help you get started on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Joanne, I actually completed the work and then the client created the job after reviewing the file which I was fine with but it means I need to manually add the hours. I’ve manually added 90 mins - do I just wait and see if the client approves it? Have I manually added it in correctly? That is the end of the contract...

Kate B wrote:
Thanks Joanne, I actually completed the work and then the client created the job after reviewing the file which I was fine with 

Don't do that in future. Never work before you've been hired.

Kate B wrote:
 do I just wait and see if the client approves it? 

Clients don't have to approve time, it gets charged automatically. But manual time is never guaranteed or protected, so if the client fails to pay or disputes, you will not get paid.

So it's best to keep manual time for clients you know well and trust.

Kate B wrote:
 Have I manually added it in correctly?

If you go to the contract by going to My Jobs and clicking on it, you'll be able to see how much time has been logged against it.

Clients do not approve manually logged time.

As a freelancer, if I log manual time, then Upwork automatically billed the client's credit card and pays me. The client does nothing.

Hi Kate, 

Manually added hours are automatically invoiced to your client the same as the logged hours using the Time Tracker App. Your client can review them and reach out to you if any hours need to be updated. Kindly check out the weekly billing cycle here for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths