Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work done without being paid

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Antonio C Member Since: Dec 11, 2018
1 of 6

Hello everyone. 

First of all I apologize for the length of this post.

I'm at my second job here on Upwork, something very simple, a review of a short text. But I'm having a problem: the client asked me to do the job, in a very nice way, and I did it and told him the results before he hired me. I state that the work was just to read a translated text and evaluate the quality of the translation, without making any corrections or else. I did this by trusting the client (he has several positive feedbacks, some of them related to work very similar to what I've done) and thinking there was nothing wrong, but when I legitimately asked him to formalize the hiring, he replied that he would have sent me the contract proposal by the end of the day. All of this happened yesterday, but no contract proposal has arrived.

Obviously, I solicited the request, but no answer came. About an hour ago, the customer contacted me asking for a further revision of a new text: thinking of doing the right thing, and always trusting the feedback received and the fact that he may have had problems in sending the contract proposal, I did this new job. I specify that in both cases the customer was satisfied with the work done. So I asked him if he could finally send me the contract, but he stopped responding again.

Of course, I started to think that this customer is taking advantage of the fact that I'm new on upwork and that, like all newcomers, I'm looking for feedback to grow my profile more than earnings (which in this case are really poor).

I therefore ask for your opinion: what can I do? Normally I would send a message to the upwork help center, but I would not want the client to leave a negative feedback on my profile, as a form of spite, because it would be very damaging to me.

Thank you all for your attention, I hope to resolve it as soon as possible without consequences.

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

@Antonio C wrote:

Hello everyone. 

First of all I apologize for the length of this post.

I'm at my second job here on Upwork, something very simple, a review of a short text. But I'm having a problem: the client asked me to do the job, in a very nice way, and I did it and told him the results before he hired me.

Stop! Hammer time ... Sorry, I like that phrase, so moving on...

That was your first mistake, your second was to work again!!! with the same client and without a contract again!!!!

At this point, you started to think? it's more than obvious that you worked for free, but that's on you and nobody else, lesson learned. Never, and I mean, never work without a proper contract (hourly or fixed), a milestone funded, and in both cases, the client's method verified.

There is no need to contact Customer Support, they can do nothing about this, read this about fixed-price protection. And since there was never a proper contract neither of you can't leave feedback for each other.

ETA: Correct typo

Ace Contributor
3 of 6

Thank you for your answer, Elba. Well, I'm not completely naive, when I told the results I trusted the feebacks left to the client, considering that he has been on Upwork for a long time and has spent much more than the small amount he would have to pay me. Obviously, lesson learned. 

Ace Contributor
4 of 6

Thanks to everyone, I understand that I was completely wrong. It will be a lesson for the next time.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 6

Please don't contact the help-center, they are busy trying to restore everyone's JSS.... plus you have nothing to report to them. You worked without a contract, that's on you entirely.

New freelancers MUST understand that you NEVER work without a contract, no matter how nicely the client asks or how great his feedback is. (He has no feedback from freelancers he scammed, because no contract=no feedback.)

So don't worry about getting bad feedback from this client, he is unable to leave you any, just as you are unable to leave feedback to him. 

You worked for free, and nothing is going to change that fact. Learn from this and never do it again. 

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
6 of 6

You don't have a contract so there won't be any consequences apart from the fact you worked for free and kept on working for free. What you did is not very smart. Never do work before you have a contract. This client might pay you and if they do then they will be able to give you a review. Contacting help center is futile. There's nothing you can do but act smartly next time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS