🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Work for 100USD contract finished & submitted...
Page options
godrin01
Community Member

Work for 100USD contract finished & submitted - client now closed contract and requested refund

Hey there! 

I developed a site for a client for $100 USD - approx 6hrs of work including Coding etc.  I submitted the milestone (=work) and presented the finished site. Yesterday, he then just requested a refund request, closed the contract & indirectly threatened to take this further. Essentially, I wasted 5hrs of work, for free.. As I see, he did not leave public feedback, but might have left a private one!

The monetary issue:

He asked for a full refund of the $100 in Escrow.

What to do now for me? Give refund, or dispute?

- I am new to the platform,

- I am eligible for Top Rated  soon ($1K billed next week)

-  Being new, I don't want my Job success score hurt  - that's the downfall of having fewer, high ticket Gigs where each bad private feedback would have bigger impact, I suppose.

The ethical issue:

- Giving him a refund would  support his  free-work behavior. That is damaging.

-  Opening a dispute might mean to other that I 'd be a bad freelancer.

What do you suggest?

Note: I do have all the relevant code & Website Files to prove I really worked those 5-6hrs.

Background:

Anyone checking my profile, will see that all past clients have been very happy with the work provided so far, so the issue is not on me:  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0192fe400448d246c9

Best Regards

Michael.

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Have you discussed the issue with the client? Personally I would try to resolve it with the client, if that's not possible, I'd dispute.

Michael S wrote:

As I see, he did not leave public feedback, but might have left a private one!

Oh he left private feedback for sure. It would not have been possible to close the contract without doing so.

Michael S wrote:

- I am new to the platform,

1 I am eligible for Top Rated  soon ($1K billed next week)

2 Being new, I don't want my Job success score hurt  - that's the downfall of having fewer, high ticket Gigs where each bad private feedback would have bigger impact, I suppose.

1 - you are not. You neither have a JSS yet, nor 13 out of 16 eligible weeks.

2 - It does not matter what you do, your JSS will be affected by the outcome of the contract. This has already happened, whether you dispute or not doesn't make a difference. That ship has sailed.

BUT - soon the Dollar value of a contract will be taken into consideration so a 100 Dollar contract weighs less heavily than a 350 Dollar contract.

Michael S wrote:

-  Opening a dispute might mean to other that I 'd be a bad freelancer.

clients can't see that you have or had a dispute.

godrin01
Community Member

Hey Petra! I had offered him a revision (or change, to satisfy him). He closed & requested refund anyway - nothing to do about it, nothing heard ever since. 

Does that mean, a future $500 contract (eg hourly) with great feedback will outweight this $100 one  a lot?

I might file a dispute shortly before the request ends to get a reaction from him; but I do not want to be after the money; for that I could  work as well, helps people better!

Mike.

yitwail
Community Member

@godrin01 wrote:

Does that mean, a future $500 contract (eg hourly) with great feedback will outweight this $100 one  a lot?

I might file a dispute shortly before the request ends to get a reaction from him; but I do not want to be after the money; for that I could  work as well, helps people better!

Larger future contracts will outweigh the $100 one, but only Upwork knows by how much, so we cannot assume a $500 contract is equal to 5 $100 contracts.

Why don't you want to be "after the money"? You're a freelancer, not a volunteer, so should be paid for your work. And going forward, you probably shouldn't be agreeing to do 5 hours of work for $100 when your hourly rate is $60/hr.

Thanks John, I did as you 2 said. You are right.

Will keep updating you here. But for now,  I disputed.

Best

Michael.

The dispute has been won, a reasonable result reached. Thanks for all the info provided from you!

One last question:

Can client leave  bad feedback now, as after loosing the dispute?  

Best

Michael.

re: "Can client leave bad feedback now, as after loosing the dispute?"

You said in your initial post that the contract was already closed. If the contract is closed, the client can't leave or change feedback.

==============

If a contract is closed, a client can not alter feedback unless you (the freelancer) click a button that allows him to alter feedback.

If a contract is NOT closed, the feedback has yet to be given. If the client closes the contract, then the client MUST leave feedback. If the freelancer closes the contract, the freelancer MUST leave feedback.

Whoever does NOT close the contract is given the OPPORTUNITY to leave feedback, but doesn't have to. That person can ignore the opportunity, in which case the window for leaving feedback closes after 14 days.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members