🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Work for a foreign client
Page options
elizabeth_prov
Community Member

Work for a foreign client

I am new to upwork and have some concerns about taking on work for a foreign client, one in particular is in Spain. Can you give me any info or reassurance? How will this impact filing my taxes. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Elizabeth P wrote:

I am new to upwork and have some concerns about taking on work for a foreign client, one in particular is in Spain. Can you give me any info or reassurance? How will this impact filing my taxes. Thanks!

This is a global platform, so most of us work with clients from all over the globe on a daily basis.

As a new freelancer you need to be a bit careful about all potential clients because newbies tend to be targeted by scammers who try to exploit their lack of familiarity with the platform, but as long as you make sure you are hired via the site there is no issue with where the client is located.

As to your taxes, you may want to ask a tax person how your freelancing income is taxed, as this varies from location to location.

Here's a little flowchart to avoid the most common scams:

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Elizabeth P wrote:

From an income tax perspective, it does not matter where the client is located. You are taxed in your country of residence. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members