🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Work off Upwork platform
Page options
demicruz_
Community Member

Work off Upwork platform

Hi! I'm a little new on this website. A client hired me through Upwork however she wants me to work off the platform for her business. Is that allowed? She also made me submit an I9 and W4. Would love to get an answer, thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

There are two answers to you question:

Yes.

No.

It depends on what you mean by "work off the platform for her business."

If she means do your work using other tools, such as Photoshop or Microsoft Word, then yes of course that is allowed.

If she means "work, but do not process payment through Upwork"... then no: that is not allowed.

If you are hired by somebody you met on Upwork, then Upwork's ToS require that you work only through the platform for that client, for a period of two years.

If it has now been two years since you were first hired and paid by this client, then you may make any kind of work arrangement that you want with her.

Hi! thank you so much for this information! I've reported the issue to Upwork support already and currently speaking with the trust and safety team. 

browersr
Community Member

An I9 and W4 are completely inappropriate on this platform. You are not being paid directly by the client. Additionally, you don't want to be providing the confidential information that those documents require. If you have not given her those documents yet, please don't. She is using the platform completely wrong and you should get this rectified immediately. 

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Demi,

Please note that offering and accepting payments off Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. Upwork requires all payments to go through our platform and offers Upwork Payment Protection for both hourly and fixed-price contracts. You can refer to Section 7 of the User Agreement for detailed information.

Could you please send me a private message with more information on this so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths