Did you mean: 

Work room images get renamed on download

noddy2013
Ace Contributor
Anil N Member Since: Aug 21, 2013
1 of 13

Downloaded images get renamed with system generated file names

Hello,

I offer image editing services via Upwork. All my assignments involve downloading photos. Edited images need to be delivered with the original files names as sent by the client.

The problem
===
When a photo is downloaded via the workroom messaging interface by either right clinking on the link or opening the photo in the browser and then downloading it, the original file name is replaced by a system generated file name. This is in-convenient and slows work down. Also this is not the way image downloads should operate,

To illustrate

Original image name:
Rosenblum-1.jpg

Downloaded with right click on image link "save link as":
fp_milestone-create_1153007_4.jpg

Downloaded after opening image in the browser:
~~8fW4wuaMN3aRXkSL8nyZsxpAss79uOfc2J-ZItIgbfM=.jpg

Please address this problem asap.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anil Nath

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 13

Probably best to use Dropbox until they fix it, or if they fix it, probably being more accurate. I think you get 10GB on the free account and you can submit the download link when submitting work, so you have a record of sending it over. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
robert_kleiner
Robert K Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 13

Yep, I'm in the same business and it's super annoying when it happens.

It's silly to bother clients with dropbox/gdrive etc if it's only a small job with 1 or 2 images.. but then again if it's only a small job with 1 or 2 images I've had no problem renaming the files myself after downloading. Zipping files will help, too.

It's one of these small things that drives freelancers/clients away from using the upwork messaging system, so it should be in upwork's interest to fix that issue.

noddy2013
Ace Contributor
4 of 13
Hi Robert,

Well said. In fact I deliver all assignments via a web download outside Odesk and this works well for both concerned. I send the download link via the messaging center, so that Upwork is always in the know.

Like you said, one would be driving now clients away by asking them to send images outside Upwork, It’s another matter working with an old client.

I have written to Upwork on numerous occasion, that add features that users want and not hat you think they want. Users on the community forum are pretty vocal about what he like and what they don’t, so Upwork has feedback, I fail to understand what appropriate  steps have not been yet.

I exchange a high number and long messages with my clients, since that’s the way I work. The new messaging interface has be quite disorienting for me personally  and I have communicated this to Upwork through multiple channels. The “Did you know” module that appears before the messages load, is quit inappropriate for a busy contractor / client. Upwork must remember this is a work platform and not a place of social networking.

Regards,

Anil
kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 13

Hi Anil and others,

I understand that it can be very inconvenient especially if you are required by the client to keep the original file name. We will share your feedback about files being renamed with the team.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
noddy2013
Ace Contributor
6 of 13

Valeria.,

Do also mention, the default behaviour of file downloads on any web site is that thae downloaded file name should be the same as teh one it was uploaded witn. So what we are witnessing her is something non-standard.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anil

kochubei_valeria
7 of 13

Hi Anil,

We just discussed and tested it with the team and it looks like the downloading files from the room works properly. If it's an image, right-click on it and select "Save image as" instead of "Save link as" or "Open in a new link." That way the image will be saved with it's original name. If it's a Word or PDF file, it should download with its original name once you click on it.

Let me know if it's not the way it's working for you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
noddy2013
Ace Contributor
8 of 13

Hello Valeria,

Thank you for the input, but sorry, I don't agree with the syggested solution.

1. My problem pertain to download of image files only and not other socument types like PDF and MS Word documents.

2. The suggested solution to right click on the displayed image and select "Save image as" does not serve my purpose.

Here's why

==

The messaging system displays a scaled down cersion of the original image.. While right clicking on theis scaled down image the original, the file name is indeed retained, like you pointed out. bu the downlod in not of the image in its original pixel dimensions as uploaded by the client., but a scaled down preview type of version

To download the image in its original size, I have to use one of the following options after which the file gets renamed after download.

==

Downloaded with right click on image link in the messaging area and select "save link as":

==

Downloaded after clicking on the image in the messaging area. This opens the image in the browser in full image size. Now right click on this full sized image and select "save image as" Tgis downloads the image in full image size but with the original file name changed.

Please note, your old messaging interface did not have these problems. Your new interface has slowed my working down.

Thenk you.

Regards,

Anil

:

kochubei_valeria
9 of 13

Hi Anil,

Unfortunately, I was not able to replicate the issue you are having when I try this. If you click on the image in the message, it will open in a new tab, then if you right-click on the image in this new tab and select "Save image as...", it should save with the original name and in the original size.

~ Valeria
Untitled
noddy2013
Ace Contributor
10 of 13

Hi Valeria,

The process you have described should save the image with it;s original file name and original size,.but it does not

I jknow how these things are supposed to work, because I also happen to be a Linux server administrator and an IT professional,. I also know why it is not working.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anil

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS