hallnneka

Work then job offer

I have noticed that a few clients post jobs where they require the work be done by Freelancers and submitted. Then when they choose the best candidate, they will send an offer for payment. I have recently had the experience of sending a proposal for a job then being told via message:

"After you're done with these steps, please send me a message or payment request. If there are no problems, I'll approve your job ASAP."

I'm not sure if the clients realise how unfair this is to a freelancer. You'd be working for free and taking all the risk because they have not fomally hired you. They can get several freelancers to do work on a project, tell them it was not done properly and keep the work without paying.

3 REPLIES 3
bc94

1) NEVER work without a contract
2) NEVER agree to freebies, "samples", unpaid "skill tests"

This is a very common scam. You have zero obligation to do any work for them. If you see a client asking for free work or asking for work without making an offer, just decline.
bucky0319

Hi Nneka,

You must take some time to read the Upwork's payment protection before working with someone. So that you may get paid for the work you have done.

Thanks.

kat303

I'm not sure if the clients realise how unfair this is to a freelancer. You'd be working for free and taking all the risk because they have not fomally hired you. They can get several freelancers to do work on a project, tell them it was not done properly and keep the work without paying.

Oh, they know, they know very very well. They are scammers and this is how they get their free work.