🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Worked for client on a trust basis and now no...
Page options
jenkfreelance
Community Member

Worked for client on a trust basis and now no payment received

Dear Upwork community,

I believe that I have made a foolish decision recently. Namely, I was approached word of mouth through Upwork message by a colleague of a client that I had previously completed a job here for. 

The prospective client asked if I was interested in translating a document for her on a similar theme as the previous client. 

I confirmed that I was interested, the price was agreed upon and she send through the file. I commenced working on the file (even though a milestone had not been created) on a trust basis as I believed that I could trust the client due to her organisation being connected with my previous client and my previous client was very responsive and trustworthy.

I sent the client the completed work and it has taken the client approximately two weeks to respond. The client was happy with my work and I have now requested a milestone to be created so that I can get paid for my work. The ball is now in her/their court.

I have a suspicion that I will not get paid and obviously I do not expect to have any recourse for payment as I am the one who made the foolish decision.

Was I naive to be so trusting in this situation?

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Jenny K wrote:

I believed that I could trust the client

This is the Internet - There is no such thing as "working for a random stranger on the internet on a trust basis"!

How long ago did you send the work?

Petra-

I sent the completed work on Feb 6.

Feb 8 the client stated they will have a look at my work and will get back to me. On Feb 18 I messaged the client asking if they had had a chance to review my work and today I have received a reply stating they are pleased with my work, it is now up on their website, and with an apology for not replying earlier. But no mention of payment.....

I usually would never work on a trust basis like this for a new client but because it is a well known large public health organisation and connected to a previous client that was very trustworthy I presumed it was "safe".Smiley Embarassed

Jenny K wrote:

I sent the completed work on Feb 6.

Feb 8 the client stated they will have a look at my work and will get back to me. On Feb 18 I messaged the client asking if they had had a chance to review my work and today I have received a reply stating they are pleased with my work, it is now up on their website, and with an apology for not replying earlier. But no mention of payment.....

It's on their website? GREAT. Tell the client that you need them to hire you and process the payment,

Wait a day or two, then tell them they need to hire you and pay or remove the material from their site as they don't own it as it hasn't been paid for.

Get more assertive.

Take it as a lesson learned, and make sure clients hire you, the milestone is funded and their payment method is veryfied.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jenny K wrote:

Dear Upwork community,

I believe that I have made a foolish decision recently. Namely, I was approached word of mouth through Upwork message by a colleague of a client that I had previously completed a job here for. 

The prospective client asked if I was interested in translating a document for her on a similar theme as the previous client. 

I confirmed that I was interested, the price was agreed upon and she send through the file. I commenced working on the file (even though a milestone had not been created) on a trust basis as I believed that I could trust the client due to her organisation being connected with my previous client and my previous client was very responsive and trustworthy.

I sent the client the completed work and it has taken the client approximately two weeks to respond. The client was happy with my work and I have now requested a milestone to be created so that I can get paid for my work. The ball is now in her/their court.

I have a suspicion that I will not get paid and obviously I do not expect to have any recourse for payment as I am the one who made the foolish decision.

Was I naive to be so trusting in this situation?

In a perfect world you could trust the colleagues of your clients. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell where some people get their ethics and integrity from these days. 

Were you naive? Yes, maybe not entirely considering the referral. You may not get paid. Perhaps continue in good faith she will pay, and continue to follow up for payment. In the future, don't work without a funded milestone. It doesn't make you a bad freelancer or unreasonable to insist they go through the contract process before you begin work. 

Jenny: You really don't need to be so hard on yourself over this.

You are new here. Everyone makes mistakes when they start out.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not make the same mistakes again in the future.

Thank you Preston for your support.

lysis10
Community Member

The only time I got totally screwed out of money was when I didn't take an upfront payment from a friend of an ex-boss of mine. Thought it would be fine but nope.

tlbp
Community Member

Now that they've been back in touch, have you pointed out that you were never paid? Clients don't always realize that they need to make an offer for you to accept in order to start a contract. Especially in big organizations, one person may assume that the issue is being handled by someone else. It wouldn't hurt to mention it one more time and make the steps that they need to follow to get you paid crystal clear. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members