cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Hours

hatemelattar
Hatem E Member Since: Feb 11, 2017
1 of 9

I finished my first work almost 20 days ago. It was a fixed price job. However, I tracked my work using Upwork time track tool. I spent about 70 hrs. These hours. These hours are saved in my working history but it doesn't appear in my profile. In the same time I can not apply for jobs require working history even if it requires one hours.

Thank you very much

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 9

@Hatem E wrote:

I finished my first work almost 20 days ago. It was a fixed price job.

Fixed price jobs are fixed price. If you track hours on them you do so for your own amusement, and those hours do not count for anything.

Only time tracked on hourly contracts counts towards the Upwork hours.

However, you can still apply for jobs where the client expressed a preference for a certain number of hours, it is not a requirement, just a preference.

dws19559
Daniel W Member Since: Jan 10, 2016
3 of 9

@Petra I am having this kind of problem too. So far, I have only been awarded fixed price jobs, did excellent work and got excellent ratings. But this causes a problem when some jobs have a minimum of 1 upwork hour. Does upwork make it clear to people posting jobs that upwork hours are only for hourly jobs, so there may be some freelancers who have done lots of good work but with 0 upwork hours?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 9

Daniel,

1. You can apply for those jobs, it is simply "a preference" and not a "must have"
  2. Do one hourly job = Problem solved.
dws19559
Daniel W Member Since: Jan 10, 2016
5 of 9

Haha, Petra, yes, sure, do one hourly job would solve the problem. Not like I haven't tried, but so far my proposals for hourly jobs have been declined. Will keep trying!

Just today, I saw "If you have 0 hours on Upwork, please explain in detail why or you will be automatically archived due to an influx of fake applicants." At least this person was kind enough to say he would consider detailed explanations. I'm guessing there are many clients who will automatically archive proposals where the freelancer has 0 hours on Upwork, because they don't know that fixed price projects don't log upwork hours.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Hatem and Daniel,

I can confirm Petra's reply and reiterate that you can still bid on jobs that include the hours worked preference.

Untitled
rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
7 of 9

If you take a look at my profile, you'll see that I never work on hourly jobs (I simply prefer fixed price ones). However, that doesn't prevent me from applying to hourly jobs at all: in my bids, I just explain why I think I'm a good match and I clearly state the total amount of money I'd like to work for. Then, it's all up to the potential client. 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

If I look at Mattia's profile I can easily see that this is a freelancer who has a LOT of experience, as the profile shows 76 jobs completed on Upwork, a lot of money earned, and a substantial job history.

I really don't think any freelancer with a lot of fixed-price work history should consider "number of hours worked" to be "an issue."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

re: "I'm guessing there are many clients who will automatically archive proposals where the freelancer has 0 hours on Upwork, because they don't know that fixed price projects don't log upwork hours."

I don't doubt that there are clients for whom number of hours worked is an important criteria. Personally, this is not something I look at when hiring freelancers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS