🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Desktop App installed on Linux (Beta) Chr...
Page options
smendel26
Community Member

Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*

Hello everyone! This is my first official post here. Hopefully it helps someone. I was searching for a solution and it still doesn't seem to be resolved by the UpWork team to officially add support for the Time Tracker desktop app on ChromeOS. My boyfriend is really good with ChromeOS and he will detail below the steps to get this to work on your Chromebook.

Step 1: Enable Linux Apps on your Chromebook.

- Settings

- Top left 3 lines

- Linux (Beta)

- Enable

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.24.13 PM.png

Step 2: Go to this Google Drive folder I created and download the version of Linux that you need for your device. Linux on ChromeOS uses a version of Debian so you really just need to know if the processor of your device is 64 or 32 bit. Most devices are also using a 64 bit processor. Some lower-end Chromebooks might be using 32 bit. Just Google your device specs.

Step 3: With Linux now installed on your Chromebook, open the app drawer (bottom left) and find the Linux folder and open Terminal.

Step 4: Open "Files" app from your app drawer and locate the file you downloaded from the Drive folder in Step 2 (likely in the Downloads folder). Rename it to "upwork.deb". Then locate the "Linux files" directory on the left and drag the renamed file into that directory.

Step 5: Now for some command line. Don't worry, it's easy. From the Terminal window you opened type in:

sudo dpkg -i upwork.deb

The package will unpack and you might get an error, just type the next command once it is finished.

sudo apt-get -f install

Step 6: Open app drawer and located the Linux folder again. You should now see UpWork installed as a Linux app. Launch it and sign in.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.17.59 PM.png

Screenshots don't seem to work yet. But this is my first time using this so hopefully I'm forgetting something.

105 REPLIES 105

Is there any update on this?? Will Upwork ever support Chrome OS??

Hi Katie, 

We still do not have any estimated time as of when this will be considered for future releases. If we have more information, we'll share it here with the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork
anthonyrrocco
Community Member

It loads and then says

"THERE WAS A PROBLEM LOADING UPWORK
Please check your internet connection and restart the app."

Internet is perfectly fine. Any solution?

Screenshot of logs provided below. Thanks for any help! I have newest pixelbook available by the way.
tlsanders
Community Member

Thank you! I was just trying to find a way to make this work earlier this week.

mproffitt
Community Member

Solution for my issue:

Unable to connect to internet. Please check internet connection and try again.

Uninstall package from OP's drive (or skip it for newer version)

It seems likely that V_5.1 has been dropped and no longer connects to Upwork's servers.

Download from Upwork officially here:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/downloads/os/linux/

Right-click on software package and select "Install with Linux (Beta)"

Hope this helps you all!

ftalcasas
Community Member

This was all very helpful and worked great! Including getting the download straight from UpWork to solve the connection issue.

Only, now that I've started using the time tracker, I got: "failed to take screenshot" and the time I thought I was tracking didn't appear in my work diary.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if it's an issue with my computer or problem particular to the Linux app running in a Chromebook. 

Hi Florence,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the problem you are experiencing. I already followed up with the team handling your case and one of our agents already updated your ticket.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
brian-callahan
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community! I have a Chromebook computer.  Is it possible to download the desktop time tracker app?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Hi Brian, 

I have merged your post on this thread. We don't have an available app for Chromebook yet, but a lot of users have shared a workaround on how to use the Upwork Desktop App on Chromebooks. Hopefully this thread helps you.

~ Avery
Upwork
dalia_addie
Community Member

Hello, I am hopefully looking at gaining some freelance positions on Upwork. However, I don't have a computer that can run the Upwork Desktop App. Is my ability to accept contracts with clients contingent upon having the desktop app, or do I still have the ability to work without it? I'm not sure when I'll have a windows computer again, and all I have right now is my Samsung Google Chromebook.

Hi Dalia,

I have merged your post on this thread as many users shared their great advice and a workaround on how to use the Upwork Desktop App on Chromebooks. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
d_green-davis
Community Member

Very helpful information but can I get some assistance, when downloaded the app will not open.

Hi Denae,

Could you please try downloading our Beta version from here? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi all,

I now have the tracker running, but the screenshots are still failing. Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I work 30+ hours for my biggest client who requires screenshots. 

Thanks,

Hi Sylvia,

I'm not sure what operating system you use, but it seems that it is ChromeOS. In case it is, please note that we don't have an available app for ChromeOS yet, but a lot of users have shared a workaround on how to use the Upwork Desktop App on ChromeOS. Please check out this post and other posts in this thread for more information on the workaround our users shared.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you for your reply, but you linked to the thread I am currently inSmiley LOL

The app seems to working fine, but it doesn't record my activity level and the screenshots fail, and yes I am talking about Chromebook 🙂

Is there any news about when the app will be available?

Sylvia D wrote:

The app seems to working fine, but it doesn't record my activity level and the screenshots fail, and yes I am talking about Chromebook 🙂

For the time being, you need a non-Chromebook device. You can't properly work an hourly contract if all you have is a Chromebook.

I bought this Chromebook today. I usually work on my desktop but after 3+ months working with the kiddos around, I now finally invested in something which gives me a little bit more flexibility, as in enabling me to work away from where the kids are. Luckily this isn't my only device, and it will only be used ocassionally so I am hoping my client will let me add manual time or will accept tracked time without screenshots.

I am very disappointed Upwork. You earn so much money through all of us - I think the development of an app which we can use on a Chromebook is a must. 

Yes, my screenshots fail too and therefore after 10 minutes, my time stops tracking. You keep mentioning the workaround that the community has come up with many of us with Chromebook's are using this workaround, but are still unable to log our time.
What do you suggest we do?

donna-fulgencio
Community Member

I followed the steps and it's actually working! Thank you! 

suzy8
Community Member

Does this still work? Would like to try it if it does.

itsrgnotrj
Community Member

I was able to download the tracker on my chromebook but still getting failed screenshots and does not record the time in my work diary. Any resolution on this matter?

Hi Argie,

I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I'm getting the same thing. I know a little coding so I'll be digging into that to get a solution figured out but I'm not confident.

What a complete joke for UW. Honestly it's just sad that there are 6 pages of folks here that are trying to help UW profit and getting ZERO help YEARS later. 

chute_elena
Community Member

Hello,

Thank you so much for this and please thank your boyfriend. I successfully installed Linux and Upwork Desktop App. But when I open it through the terminal it is saying there isnt network connection but internet is connected. Do you have any troubleshooting ideas for this?

Hi Elena,

You can check this thread for more information other users shared as well as this help article for troubleshooting tips on Linux OS.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a googlechrome book & was able to download the desktop app by enabling Linux.

I am currently building a lead database. I am constantly clicking, typing, and scrolling. I only pause to research a web page to find the info I need.

There are three issues:

1. Time tracker isn’t saving my hours. When I switch it off the hours aren’t added to the total hours at the bottom. I worked 8 hours yesterday & the tracker only saved one.

2. Screenshots aren’t capturing.

3. My time is being saved on the work diary but it is being saved in three different time zones?

My client (of course) would like me to get paid for the hours I worked. She doesn’t mind me adding the hours manually, but at this time the contract doesn’t allow for it. She doesn’t mind changing it but wanted me to contact upwork first. Unfortunately....it seems this is the only place to do that so I hope I get an answer today- as I don’t want to lose out on work or have this problem keep happening.

Is the simplest solution to ask her to add the time manually or is there a way someone at upwork can fix my hours?

I have never had this issue before. I’ve done lots of hourly work. And even if there isn’t a lot of screen actively it still logs my hours correctly.

Yes- I have tried every troubleshooting tip. I have looked at all the articles & browsed the community board. I also googled for any help.

I was going to use my husbands Mac today to see if the issue is just my computer.

But really need this fixed today.

Thank you!

Hey, I'm the OP.

Unfortunately, you're either going to have to

Log time manually,
Switch to a fixed price contract (maybe billed by the 4 hour block,)
Or
Use your partner's Mac.

There's no support for this yet, despite the demand. I actually don't use
my CBook for Upwork Hourly anymore, I upgraded from my Dell tower to an
Asus laptop.

Hope this helps!
britthardesty
Community Member

I got all the way, but the app thats loaded states my internet connection isn't working (but it is) did you run into this problem ever?

diannovita66
Community Member

I have successfully installed the desktop app on my Chromebook through Linux (Beta). I was able to clock on the app, however, it kept saying Loading and never launched. Any thoughts?

Please disregard. I had it figured out. I needed to download the Debian-based 64-bit Beta from the https://www.upwork.com/ab/downloads/os/linux/ options.

Hi Dian,

You may want to check this thread for helpful information other users shared as well as this help article for troubleshooting tips on Linux OS. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

As an FYI to the Upwork Moderators, when people are saying they found a workaround it means that they managed to get the Upwork Time Tracker app to install on their Chromebooks, there is still an issue with the app taking screenshots with this workaround (and I noticed it doesn't record all the time correctly too - I worked for 47 minutes and it only recorded 30 minutes of my time).

Thank you. I am not keen to use a "work around", I would prefer UpWork sort
it properly as there must be plenty of using chrome

Completely agreed!  Frustrating that this thread has been open for years and Upwork still hasn't developed a ChromeOS app yet.

Hi Dean and Sam,

I understand your experience and suggestion but would like to reiterate that the Upwork Desktop app isn't officially supported on Chromebook. While we are deeply focused on supporting our users there are certain limitations on certain OSs that are preventing the app from operating as designed, which is why we strongly encourage users to use the app on supported OSs. 

Dean, I checked your Work Diary and would like to offer advice regarding how the Upwork Desktop app is tracking user activity via private message if you like, since we can't discuss account-specific information publicly. Feel free to select my name > "Message" button if you'd like to discuss this further. In the meantime, please do check the "User Activity" section under the FAQ at the bottom of this Help article for more information. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork
2095d280
Community Member

Thank you Stephanie M. I was able to install my Upwork desktop app on my ChromeOS laptop. I also configure some system upgrades of my Linux and it works :).

sedobbs
Community Member

This was suuuuuper helpful! Worked like a charm!

a915aeac
Community Member

Is this working now? I mean does it take screenshots now?

As far as I recall,

No, It still does not have public approval and does not allow the application to take screenshots. 

I believe this is due to a call function for WindowsOS in the Upwork application that is not supported inside Linux (including Debian-based variants), but I've never delved into the app's source code (Violations of ToU and what-not) so I can't make a formal statement as to what keeps it from working. 

annswenupwork
Community Member

Follow this TS, My timetracker is working but when it took a screenshot and when I saw the thumbnail for it it just has a big "failed to take screenshot" . I am using Google Chrome OS Version 91.0.4472.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) and running the desktop app by enabling Linux dev software

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths