🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*
Page options
smendel26
Community Member

Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*

Hello everyone! This is my first official post here. Hopefully it helps someone. I was searching for a solution and it still doesn't seem to be resolved by the UpWork team to officially add support for the Time Tracker desktop app on ChromeOS. My boyfriend is really good with ChromeOS and he will detail below the steps to get this to work on your Chromebook.

Step 1: Enable Linux Apps on your Chromebook.

- Settings

- Top left 3 lines

- Linux (Beta)

- Enable

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.24.13 PM.png

Step 2: Go to this Google Drive folder I created and download the version of Linux that you need for your device. Linux on ChromeOS uses a version of Debian so you really just need to know if the processor of your device is 64 or 32 bit. Most devices are also using a 64 bit processor. Some lower-end Chromebooks might be using 32 bit. Just Google your device specs.

Step 3: With Linux now installed on your Chromebook, open the app drawer (bottom left) and find the Linux folder and open Terminal.

Step 4: Open "Files" app from your app drawer and locate the file you downloaded from the Drive folder in Step 2 (likely in the Downloads folder). Rename it to "upwork.deb". Then locate the "Linux files" directory on the left and drag the renamed file into that directory.

Step 5: Now for some command line. Don't worry, it's easy. From the Terminal window you opened type in:

sudo dpkg -i upwork.deb

The package will unpack and you might get an error, just type the next command once it is finished.

sudo apt-get -f install

Step 6: Open app drawer and located the Linux folder again. You should now see UpWork installed as a Linux app. Launch it and sign in.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.17.59 PM.png

Screenshots don't seem to work yet. But this is my first time using this so hopefully I'm forgetting something.

105 REPLIES 105

No, It still does not have public support on Chromebook or ChromeOS and as such, does not allow the application to take screenshots when run on either ChromeOS or Linux via ChromeOS.

I believe this is due to a call function for WindowsOS in the Upwork application that is not supported inside Linux/ChromeOS (including Debian-based Linux variants), but I've never delved into the app's source code (Violations of ToU and what-not) so I can't make a formal statement as to what keeps it from working. 

daveowebb
Community Member

Thanks!

This is a request to Upwork to add support for the desktop (time-tracker) App on Chrome OS. Thanks

7fb471bd
Community Member

Hi! I was wondering if you figured out how to get the screenshot feature to work? Thanks so much!

Hi Meagan,

You can check this thread for more information other users shared as well as this help article for troubleshooting tips on Linux OS.

Also, I checked and it looks like one of our agents already reached out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
c3e6b139
Community Member

Any update for an app in ChromeOS. I tried installing the Upwork app for ChromeOS sent at the beginning of this topic but Google Drive said the app is dangerous to install.

c20c2d82
Community Member

I love this! I thank you for sharing.

Is anyone else still having problems though? I did all the steps and everything goes perfectly until the very last step. I can't sign in because I get an error message. I'm on a HP 15.6" Touchscreen Chromebook.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 11.41.54 AM.pngScreenshot 2021-08-11 11.42.52 AM.png

giuli_michele
Community Member

Hello everyone. I'm new to both Chrome OS and Linux and I might misuse some terms, but I tried a different way and now the screenshots are working on my chromebook, so I hope this is helpful.

I understand that the Linux (Beta) function in Chrome OS allows to use Linux apps kinda like an emulator, which is what causes the screenshot problem.

Instead, I followed these instructions to install a version of Ubuntu and make so that I could easily switch to it from Chrome OS and vice versa. https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#1-overview

- more precisely, I installed LXDE. After that, I just had to follow the instructions to start my first Linux session, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and the Upwork time tracker, and it regularly takes screenshots.

I didn't check if it did it less often than it should (as some people reported), and I can't tell if it will keep working. If something happens, I'll report it here.

Also, this process forces you to keep your Chromebook in Developer Mode. I've read that some people use chrx to install ubuntu with a dual boot option, which should be better, but my pc didn't support that.

I hope that is helpful for everyone. However, I'm still very frustrated, as the reason I had to start using a Chromebook is that an update of the Upwork time tracker freezed my pc, which is now in repair.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Problem-with-uninstalling-an-older-version-5-3-3-871/m-p...

And even before, that app had started giving me problems that a lot of people have experienced and reported for years.
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-Tracker-Freezes-Computer/td-p/545567

- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-is-upwork-desktop-app-slowing-my-computer-down/td-p/...

It seems to me that this app is just problematic. Also, so many freelancers have reported such problems for years, and all they got were clueless kind words from moderators - which I appreciate, but I still have to work. In the meantime, the Upwork company did nothing, except introducing a cost for connects.

I've been using this marketplace for years, but they seem to be forgetting that freelancers are the reason why clients bring their money here. A little more respect wouldn't do any harm.
jenny-nelson
Community Member

Thank you!  This helped!  I was wondering about the screenshots.  They are all showing up blank (or grayed out).  There's no fix for this one ... that anyone knows of yet?

Screenshot wont work since the Linux dev environment on Chromebook is running on a container/vm instance. It can only see what is in that linux environment but not what's on the Chrome OS environment. That's why it shows blank/grey on the screenshot. 

Upwork should release a native client Upwork app that is compatible with Chrome OS. 

There's already an Upwork client for Android available on Google Play Store on Chrome OS. I think Upwork can modify that to include screenshots.  

Hi Mark and Jennifer. I had the same problem, and I'd recommend not to use the Linux dev environment of your Chromebook. Install a Linux OS instead. This worked for me, and the screenshots are doing fine. Here's the guide I followed: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#1-overview

orangeace
Community Member

Hello. Unfortunately when I get back to the folder where I dragged the upwork.deb tin linux after entering the commands. it will still ask me to install it. I don't understand. Please help me.

Hi Orange Ace,

You might want to check this thread for more information and the information that other users have shared. Also, please check this help article for troubleshooting tips on Linux OS.

~ Joanne
Upwork
angstevens
Community Member

Hello! So I had my first client require I use the time tracker on here.., except I can't find it. I downloaded the app, but all the app gives me is jobs I could apply for. I also work on Chromebook, and I did find a few threads saying the app didn't work with Chrome for whatever reason. Is that still a thing? I'm not an idiot, but I cannot find a single link on my Chrome or mobile for the time tracker. Am I missing something? Please help!

Hi! Upwork time tracker doesn't work on Chromebook. It has been raised to
Upwork since 2016 but no update from Upwork yet regarding the availability
of the time tracker for Chromebook users. Others install Linux to use the
time tracker but it's still not fully functional. You can search in the
Upwork Community regarding this topic.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=time%20tracker%20on%...
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jay Celine, 

At this time, Chromebooks is not a supported operating system. We will continue to share this as feedback for the team's consideration. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Upwork!

I think it's time you work on having the Time Tracker available for
Chromebook users.

As you can see, there are a lot of freelancers using Chromebook and it's
been years since the first inquiry for the availability of this app to
Chromebook but until now it's not available.
studioconstantin
Community Member

I can confirm that screenshots are still not working on the Linux version of the time tracker on a chromebook.

Hi Constantin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our team is constantly working to make Upwork Team Desktop App available for more users. However, unfortunately, it's still not supported on Chromebooks or mobile devices. If something changes, we are going to inform the Community.

~ AJ
Upwork
b869f9a8
Community Member

Hello, I've seen some previous forums that explain there was no timesheet desktop app for chromebook OS. Has there been any update on this as of November 2022? It's been 3+ years since freelancers have brought this up. I've just done some work with a client and would like to be able to track time spent on my timesheet and get paid. Of course I will attempt to request for manual time tracking, but in the case that they don't approve, can Upwork techies override this for the sake of their freelancers? 

P.S. - I tried multiple times to download the software via another freelancers method, but ultimate my laptop would not allow (see https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Working-UpWork-Desktop-App-On-ChromeOS/m-p/561049#M34165...). 

Thanks for your time. 

Hi Chase,

Thank you for reaching out. Upwork desktop app is still not supported on Chromebook and there are no foreseen changes on this as of the moment. Should we have an update, we will surely announce it here in the Community to let everyone know. 

~ AJ
Upwork
jacob_mendoza
Community Member

Hi,

It's been years since this has been raised and Chrome OS has been proven by freelancers to be more effecient on doing our day to day tasks from our clients. Does anyone from Upwork plans to have this additioal support any time soon?

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for reaching out to us and following up on this. Unfortunately, the Upwork desktop app is still not supported on Chromebook and there are no foreseen changes on this as of the moment. I assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives regarding this concern.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Thank you very, very much, Stephanie, and to your boyfriend, too, of course - this is just brilliant!! 😀

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths