cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*

Stephanie M Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
1 of 11

Hello everyone! This is my first official post here. Hopefully it helps someone. I was searching for a solution and it still doesn't seem to be resolved by the UpWork team to officially add support for the Time Tracker desktop app on ChromeOS. My boyfriend is really good with ChromeOS and he will detail below the steps to get this to work on your Chromebook.

Step 1: Enable Linux Apps on your Chromebook.

- Settings

- Top left 3 lines

- Linux (Beta)

- Enable

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.24.13 PM.png

Step 2: Go to this Google Drive folder I created and download the version of Linux that you need for your device. Linux on ChromeOS uses a version of Debian so you really just need to know if the processor of your device is 64 or 32 bit. Most devices are also using a 64 bit processor. Some lower-end Chromebooks might be using 32 bit. Just Google your device specs.

Step 3: With Linux now installed on your Chromebook, open the app drawer (bottom left) and find the Linux folder and open Terminal.

Step 4: Open "Files" app from your app drawer and locate the file you downloaded from the Drive folder in Step 2 (likely in the Downloads folder). Rename it to "upwork.deb". Then locate the "Linux files" directory on the left and drag the renamed file into that directory.

Step 5: Now for some command line. Don't worry, it's easy. From the Terminal window you opened type in:

sudo dpkg -i upwork.deb

The package will unpack and you might get an error, just type the next command once it is finished.

sudo apt-get -f install

Step 6: Open app drawer and located the Linux folder again. You should now see UpWork installed as a Linux app. Launch it and sign in.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 9.17.59 PM.png

Screenshots don't seem to work yet. But this is my first time using this so hopefully I'm forgetting something.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 11

Thank you for sharing this tip here, Stephanie! (Thanks to your boyfriend too!) 

-Avery
Untitled
3 of 11

Hi Stephanie, 

The team has taken interest on your post and wanted to look into this further. They wanted to check why the app wasn't taking screenshots, and requested some logs from your Upwork Desktop App. You should be able to locate your log files by going to this location on your Chromebook ~/.Upwork/Upwork/Logs/

Hopefully it will help our team diagnose this better.

-Avery
Untitled
Don B Member Since: Mar 22, 2019
4 of 11

Do we have any more information on this? I wouldn't mind picking up a Chromebook for my work.

One item to note: I would expect for this to only work on x86 Chromebooks since Upwork does not supply and ARM package for Debian based linux (or any other flavor).

Kristine D Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
5 of 11

Hi! Is this still working? I have a chromebook that I want to use as a backup PC. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 11

Hi Kristine, 

Currently, the Upwork Desktop App works on Linux, Windows, and Mac. We'll make sure to update the Community if it will be available in ChromeOS as well. Thank you.

Untitled
Enrique P Member Since: Mar 29, 2019
7 of 11

You can also run the installer by moving the file to My files/Linux files, right-clicking, and selecting the option to install:

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 09.28.38.pngMake sure the installer is in the correct location in order to install from the Files app.

8 of 11

Thanks Enrique! That is an alternate way of installing it and a bit easier I suppose lol!

9 of 11

Avery, I think it has more to do with the Linux container than the UpWork app itself. It won't record the screen because it's basically running in an emulator this way. 

I truely think it would be better if you guys could just make an Android app (since they work on ChromeOS) or a progressive web app that works instead of a dedicated desktop app... 

Sorry for the late replies everyone! 

10 of 11

Hi Stephanie, 

Thank you for checking back! I was really hoping you'd come back here. Robot LOL I'll go ahead and share this with our Desktop App Team so that they can investigate further. 

In the meantime, are you able to collect your app's log files for me and send through a private message? 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS