cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*

deanwest7
Dean W Member Since: Dec 26, 2020
71 of 82

Completely agreed!  Frustrating that this thread has been open for years and Upwork still hasn't developed a ChromeOS app yet.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
72 of 82

Hi Dean and Sam,

I understand your experience and suggestion but would like to reiterate that the Upwork Desktop app isn't officially supported on Chromebook. While we are deeply focused on supporting our users there are certain limitations on certain OSs that are preventing the app from operating as designed, which is why we strongly encourage users to use the app on supported OSs. 

Dean, I checked your Work Diary and would like to offer advice regarding how the Upwork Desktop app is tracking user activity via private message if you like, since we can't discuss account-specific information publicly. Feel free to select my name > "Message" button if you'd like to discuss this further. In the meantime, please do check the "User Activity" section under the FAQ at the bottom of this Help article for more information. 

Untitled
2095d280
Ian G Member Since: Jan 30, 2021
73 of 82

Thank you Stephanie M. I was able to install my Upwork desktop app on my ChromeOS laptop. I also configure some system upgrades of my Linux and it works Smiley Happy.

sedobbs
Sarah D Member Since: Mar 18, 2021
74 of 82

This was suuuuuper helpful! Worked like a charm!

a915aeac
Charmaine V Member Since: Dec 9, 2020
75 of 82

Is this working now? I mean does it take screenshots now?

mproffitt
Matthew P Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
76 of 82

As far as I recall,

No, It still does not have public approval and does not allow the application to take screenshots. 

I believe this is due to a call function for WindowsOS in the Upwork application that is not supported inside Linux (including Debian-based variants), but I've never delved into the app's source code (Violations of ToU and what-not) so I can't make a formal statement as to what keeps it from working. 

annswenupwork
Ann Swen V Member Since: Jun 4, 2021
77 of 82

Follow this TS, My timetracker is working but when it took a screenshot and when I saw the thumbnail for it it just has a big "failed to take screenshot" . I am using Google Chrome OS Version 91.0.4472.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) and running the desktop app by enabling Linux dev software

mproffitt
Matthew P Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
78 of 82

No, It still does not have public support on Chromebook or ChromeOS and as such, does not allow the application to take screenshots when run on either ChromeOS or Linux via ChromeOS.

I believe this is due to a call function for WindowsOS in the Upwork application that is not supported inside Linux/ChromeOS (including Debian-based Linux variants), but I've never delved into the app's source code (Violations of ToU and what-not) so I can't make a formal statement as to what keeps it from working. 

daveowebb
David O Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
79 of 82

Thanks!

daveowebb
David O Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
80 of 82

This is a request to Upwork to add support for the desktop (time-tracker) App on Chrome OS. Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS