cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working!! UpWork Desktop App On ChromeOS*

smendel26
Stephanie M Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
21 of 80

Avery, I think it has more to do with the Linux container than the UpWork app itself. It won't record the screen because it's basically running in an emulator this way. 

I truely think it would be better if you guys could just make an Android app (since they work on ChromeOS) or a progressive web app that works instead of a dedicated desktop app... 

Sorry for the late replies everyone! 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
22 of 80

Hi Stephanie, 

Thank you for checking back! I was really hoping you'd come back here. Robot LOL I'll go ahead and share this with our Desktop App Team so that they can investigate further. 

In the meantime, are you able to collect your app's log files for me and send through a private message? 

~ Avery
Upwork
sarahkatharine
Sarah P Member Since: Apr 6, 2019
23 of 80

Hello! I'm checking back in on this. I just recently started a new contract where the client is set on NOT using manual time. Up to this point, all of my clients have been fine with me adding manual time, and tracking my time/having screenshots recorded via Hubstaff. It gives me extra work to do copying my time over, but it's worth it to be able to use my Chromebook.

I tried downloading this from the Google Drive folder, and it keeps telling me I need to update it - is there an updated Linux file I should be downloading?

Also, it definitely has a bug in it, as I tracked my time this evening with both Upwork & Hubstaff, and recorded 1 hr. 10 mins. with Hubstaff, but when I checked my time log on Upwork, only 1 hr. had been recorded (with a random 10-min. gap in-between). And, no screenshots are being taken.

I've been asking for years - is there a way we can get an Upwork tracker as an app or for ChromeOS? I think there are a LOT of freelancers out there who use the Google-friendly Chromebooks (most of my clients are G Suite!), and this would really make my work life easier, as my newest client is adamant about needing me to use this tracker.

Thank you!
Sarah

krystabelw
Krystal M Member Since: Oct 31, 2018
24 of 80
Hi Stephanie,

Has the screenshots been working as yet? I can't believe Upwork is yet to extend the app to other operating system especially with technology growing.
I really want to switch to my new Chromebook which is soo much faster than my windows sigh.
sirarpisahakyan
sirarpi s Member Since: Dec 23, 2018
25 of 80

Thanks for sharing. This has been really helpful. Unfortunately, I am encountering an issue this week - the tracker is loading and won't open. Have you had the same problem? Any idea on how I can solve this? Thanks 

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
26 of 80

Hi Sirarpi,

Just to confirm, you were able to use the Desktop App on ChromeOS but it stopped working properly this week? Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can share with the team? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
snowbunny1
Carrie S Member Since: Aug 26, 2017
27 of 80

Thank you for sharing! It's not working on my machine but hopefully the interest generated will cause the upwork team to realize they are losing money by not implementing. I have the majority of my clients outside of upwork and would love to invite them in, but unfortunately I don't want to work on my mac at home all the time. I travel with a chromebook. Chromebooks are also a very affordable option for new freelancers who are starting businesses. Adding manual time doesn't work for many clients as they like being able to track time with screen shots, etc. Until this is resolved, 90% or more of my work (that I found with my own marketing) is not brought into the platform. 

devsherif
Sherif M Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
28 of 80

Any updates regarding this topic ?

I did install the latest version of Upwork Time Tracker app for linux on my Chrome OS and seems like screenshots still not working.

We really need to know if there is any progress or any expected date for a new release that is compatible for Chrome OS.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
29 of 80

Hi Sherif,

At the moment we don't have any updates about this or an ETA.

Once we have more information about this we (Moderators) will post an update here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
devsherif
Sherif M Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
30 of 80

Thanks for you reply Goran.

I hope you start progressing on that ASAP.

Just wanted to note something I found that may help people who may think about using Upwork time tracker on chrome even if it fails to take screenshots as I knew that some started to do so after their clients permission.

Sometimes Upwork Time Tracker app don't count a period of time although the tracker is on. Tried to find out something by checking the logs but didn't find anything.

When i found that I started monitoring that and for a session of 50 minutes, 20 minutes only was tracked !!!

Just thought about highlighting this maybe others didn't recognize that issue.

Thanks,

Sherif

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS