cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working as a freelancer on Upwork (international student on a F-1 Visa)

franfonse8
Francisco F Member Since: Feb 10, 2021
1 of 5

Hi guys,

I'm an international student on an F1 Visa. I'm currently, of course, enrolled as a full-time student at college in the US.

This type of Visa does not allow an international student to work outside of campus; only through an authorization to take advantage of the OPT or CPT opportunities. Inside of campus, yes, but with authorization and only part-time during classes and full-time during breaks.

Am I allowed to work through Upwork as a freelancer?

I find the descriptions about working in the US a little bit vague, by the Department of Homeland Security, and open to ambiguity.

Thanks and be well.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
2 of 5

Francisco F wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm an international student on an F1 Visa. I'm currently, of course, enrolled as a full-time student at college in the US.

This type of Visa does not allow an international student to work outside of campus; only through an authorization to take advantage of the OPT or CPT opportunities. Inside of campus, yes, but with authorization and only part-time during classes and full-time during breaks.

Am I allowed to work through Upwork as a freelancer?

I find the descriptions about working in the US a little bit vague, by the Department of Homeland Security, and open to ambiguity.

Thanks and be well.

I think you already have your answer:

franfonse8
3 of 5

What if I work as a freelancer through Upwork on the library of the school?

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5
Working "on campus" means for an employer who's located on campus, not just that you're in the campus library. I wouldn't risk it unless you want to get your visa revoked and potentially be deported and not allowed back into the U S. The Americans don't mess around when it comes to visas.

View solution in original post

franfonse8
5 of 5

Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS