🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Working as a freelancer on Upwork (intern...
Page options
franfonse8
Community Member

Working as a freelancer on Upwork (international student on a F-1 Visa)

Hi guys,

I'm an international student on an F1 Visa. I'm currently, of course, enrolled as a full-time student at college in the US.

This type of Visa does not allow an international student to work outside of campus; only through an authorization to take advantage of the OPT or CPT opportunities. Inside of campus, yes, but with authorization and only part-time during classes and full-time during breaks.

Am I allowed to work through Upwork as a freelancer?

I find the descriptions about working in the US a little bit vague, by the Department of Homeland Security, and open to ambiguity.

Thanks and be well.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Working "on campus" means for an employer who's located on campus, not just that you're in the campus library. I wouldn't risk it unless you want to get your visa revoked and potentially be deported and not allowed back into the U S. The Americans don't mess around when it comes to visas.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

Francisco F wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm an international student on an F1 Visa. I'm currently, of course, enrolled as a full-time student at college in the US.

This type of Visa does not allow an international student to work outside of campus; only through an authorization to take advantage of the OPT or CPT opportunities. Inside of campus, yes, but with authorization and only part-time during classes and full-time during breaks.

Am I allowed to work through Upwork as a freelancer?

I find the descriptions about working in the US a little bit vague, by the Department of Homeland Security, and open to ambiguity.

Thanks and be well.

I think you already have your answer:

What if I work as a freelancer through Upwork on the library of the school?

Working "on campus" means for an employer who's located on campus, not just that you're in the campus library. I wouldn't risk it unless you want to get your visa revoked and potentially be deported and not allowed back into the U S. The Americans don't mess around when it comes to visas.

Thank you.

What if I go to my home country and stay there in the summer? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members