cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working for a client without verified funds.

1ksuemar
Karen M Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
1 of 11

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and I have a couple questions.

I sent a proposal for a position to Retype Data PDF Word and have been offered the job. It doesn't look like the client has the funds verified. Is it safe to work with them? Also, my proposal was for hourly but they came back with an offer of 1000 entry = $20. I'm not sure how long it will take to enter an entry. What does this do to the proposal? Is it alright to ask them questions like this?

Thank you,

Karen M

outsourceupwork
Community Leader
Anil K Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
2 of 11
Ask your client to find the Escrow. Never start any work without Escrow funding.
Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
vdubeau
Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
3 of 11

You are allowed to ask as many questions as you need to be clear on what the job entails before you accept it.

First, make sure that the job shows up under the "My Jobs" tab. If not then you don't officially have it.

Second, make sure that the payment method is verified.

Third, since this sounds like a fixed price job make sure that the milestone is fully funded.

Then you can start the job.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
jamesseligman
Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
4 of 11

Agreed!  

Never start any work without Escrow funding or an unverified payment. Until that's complete sit back, grab a coffee and another project. 

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
5 of 11

“Also, my proposal was for hourly but they came back with an offer of 1000 entry = $20. I'm not sure how long it will take to enter an entry.”

Politely decline, pointing out that you had applied for an hourly job.

"Certa bonum certamen"
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

Let's keep in mind that if the client funds escrow, and anything goes wrong and the job isn't done, the client gets ALL HER MONEY BACK.

This is a very client-friendly thing.

And even if a contractor submits the project, the escrow money isn't released until the client approves the release of the money. If the contractor doesn't do part of the project that was promised, the client can send it back for revision.

All of which means:
There's no valid reason for a client to hire a contractor for a fixed-price contract and NOT fund escrow.

If a client doesn't fund escrow, don't do the work.

If a client funds part of escrow (say, $50 out of a $200 project), then that's how much the client is intending to pay you. If you do the work, you can collect $50.00. It doesn't matter what the "budget" was or what you "discussed.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

$20 to retype a pdf sounds fishy.

I would insist on hourly and use tracker.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 11

I bet she got a message saying "You are now part of my project" and the whole thing is a Captcha Scam.

They uually disguise themselves as "retype" somthing.

1ksuemar
Karen M Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
9 of 11

That is actually what I received.  Thank you all for your input.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 11

Karen:

The CAPTCHA typing people do not actually pay contractors for the work that they do, as far as I can tell from all the reports I have read.

Also, participating in this specific enterprise is a violation of Upwork TOS. They have been banned from Upwork and contractors and not allowed to do CAPTCHA data entry work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS