🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Working in Google Docs advice
Page options
b69a582f
Community Member

Working in Google Docs advice

As a rule, I don't like working in Google Docs. Drives me crazy others going back behind me constantly, while I'm in the doc trying work on their stuff. I rarely do that, however, I do have two contracts right now using that, one, so the woman and I can work together, the other, because the woman has a mac and can't read word. Tomorrow I was planning to submit for my first milestone on editing her manuscript. I go in this morning, and see something saying there was a new version of the document, and I had to refresh. So I did, and get this error from Google docs. File could not open. Try refreshing the page  So I keeo doing it. Switch browsers. Check other google docs, and nope. Not there. Luckily, I could still see the preview, and downloaded that quickly, so I can, having lost about 30 pages of work, continue to edit, and I've messaged the client, but I'm a little stressed right now. Anything else I can do, or does it look like a case of they changed it? She was already a little unhappy that part way in, I told her that we hadn't agreeded on a round of revisions, and I was happy to do that but it would push out the deadline, and also increase the price slightly, so of course, that's in the back of my mind, just before my first milestone and this happening.... 

4 REPLIES 4
2591126f
Community Member

If you want to restore a previous version in google doc. It can be done by going to File> Version history. From  there you can choose the  older version with the correct time stamp

Thank you. I wish it were that simple. The entire document is gone. I'm guessing they deleted it, and all of my work along with it. It's been the entire day and the have not answered me. Thank goodness I have a clean copy, but I'll have to redo it all, lost several hours. 

tlbp
Community Member

I'm not sure I'm following your timeline correctly, but based on what I think you are saying...

They may have made a copy of the document (with your changes) and deleted the original. Or, if the original was in their folder, they may have just changed your access so you can no longer view it. 

If you completed the work for the milestone and haven't submitted for payment using Upwork's formal process, do so. In the memo line, indicate that the client has the document. 

Anecdotal experiences have led me to believe that the lower the price the client is willing to pay for your work, the more likely they are to attempt to avoid all payment. They are also the ones most likely to destroy your JSS by giving bad feedback. 

Sarah L wrote:

Thank you. I wish it were that simple. The entire document is gone. I'm guessing they deleted it, and all of my work along with it. It's been the entire day and the have not answered me. Thank goodness I have a clean copy, but I'll have to redo it all, lost several hours. 

Sorry about that. I had misunderstood it  as  some pages of text lost because someone messed it with.

Ofcourse if  it has been intentionally deleted, it is difficult to retrieve it back.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members