🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Working in a client's environment, Terms of s...
Page options
automationman
Community Member

Working in a client's environment, Terms of service, avoiding circumvention.

Hello Upwork Community,  I am hoping a representitive of Upwork (perhaps their legal staff?) can answer the following question:

Many of the "Tech" jobs I am seeing are asking to set up a shop on a public shopping website, or "scraping" an Internet site, so this work can be done by the Freelancer independantly, and final work submission (passwords to the shopping site, or final version of scraping program) can be submitted through the Upwork website in accordance with Terms of Service.

I have submitted a proposal to a client where I would be working with their internal data files, and their internal databases, not the public Internet.  This would require me to work in their environment.  If I do so, they already have the work, and I would have circumvented Upwork's Work Submission policy.

My question is:  Can I do the work in their environment, and when I am done, copy everything I have done in their environment, and re-submit it to them (even though they already have it)  through the Upwork website, in order to stay within Terms of Service?  Would Upwork be okay with that?

Please advise.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

John, I'm not part of Upwork staff, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not required that work must be submitted through Upwork. It's mainly payment that has to go through Upwork. For instance, here's an excerpt from an Upwork article on fixed-price protection (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063748-Fixed-Price-Protection-for-Freelancers)

Please discuss with your client ahead of time how you'll deliver your files or other work product. You can send files using Upwork's collaboration tools or use whatever third-party solutions you prefer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
yitwail
Community Member

John, I'm not part of Upwork staff, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not required that work must be submitted through Upwork. It's mainly payment that has to go through Upwork. For instance, here's an excerpt from an Upwork article on fixed-price protection (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063748-Fixed-Price-Protection-for-Freelancers)

Please discuss with your client ahead of time how you'll deliver your files or other work product. You can send files using Upwork's collaboration tools or use whatever third-party solutions you prefer.

re: "Can I do the work in their environment, and when I am done, copy everything I have done in their environment, and re-submit it to them (even though they already have it)  through the Upwork website, in order to stay within Terms of Service?  Would Upwork be okay with that?"

There's no need to do all that.

Just make sure the client gets what she needs.

Don't copy or "re-submit" anything.

But for fixed-price contracts, always use the green "Submit Work / Request Payment" button, even if all you do is type in the box "All work as provided directly to client."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths