cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Upwork as a Ltd company (Question for UK freelancers)

Highlighted
Mathew H Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
1 of 17

I have been working on Upwork for many many years as a sole trader as I was only freelancing part time whilst working a full time job. In April I left my job to freelance full time (still as a sole trader) and I have now set up a Ltd company on the advice of my accountant and I am wondering what to do about my account here. I have built up a good profile over the years with a solid track record and want to keep it.

As far as I can tell, in the future I will need to invoice under my Ltd company name, and any charges (service fees etc.) need to go my company not to me personally. But there doesn't appear to be any support for this at all.

I have contacted support and they weren't much help as they didn't seem to understand the way a lot of freelancers and contracters are set up as Ltd companies and the requirements that come with that. Which is fine,  it is a US website why would they know about this specific UK tax thing.

So my question is to any UK based freelancers who operate as Ltds. How does it work for you? Do you just operate under your own name and pay the money into the company's bank account? I think I can probably expense the charges, but the invoicing could still be a problem. Do you just sole trade here and do the Ltd thing everywhere else?

Thanks for reading!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
2 of 17
You can open an agency account in Upwork in your company's name and work under it and receive the funds into your company's bank account.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 17

Opening a one-man agency is not satisfactory. In the user Settings tab, there is a Tax Information section. Inside you can add your legal name.

US solo traders incorporated under an LLC are in the same situation and this field should solve the problem.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Highlighted
4 of 17

Thanks for the info. Is the legal name considered to be the company name in the US?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 17

Hi Mathew,

Please refer to the information we shared with another users recently and let us know if you have further questions.

Highlighted
6 of 17

Thanks for the link. Great explanation btw! 

Highlighted
Simon R Member Since: May 5, 2020
7 of 17

This is not working for me.

I work in the UK through my own limited company.  The company is registered for VAT.  I have entered my VAT number and my legal company name in the Tax Information settings in my profile, but the VAT number is rejected as invalid.  I understand that the Upwork system uses the EU's VIES website to validate the VAT number.  I've visited that site and checked its records for my VAT number.  The details there match the details I've entered on Upwork.

I've just noticed that the company name on the VIES system is in upper case, but I entered it on Upwork in mixed case.  I've just changed it to upper case and we will see what happens.

If that is the problem, then I strongly suggest that you either improve your checking software to make it case-insensitive, or at the very least, make the issue clearer on the form.  Just saying that the details must match the one on my tax return is not clear enough.

If this is not the problem, then I would like appreciate an explanation of what the problem is.  It's preventing me from using Upwork

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 17

Hi Simon,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number and completing your TAX information. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Maria L Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
9 of 17

Hello Mathew,

I'm facing the same issue. My biggest concern is that my personal name appears on my service fee invoices (instead of my business name). Have you found a solution?

Thanks
Maria

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 17

Hi Maria,

Please, check the link Vladimir shared earlier on this thread and see is advise on that thread helps you in your situation. 

@Vladimir G. wrote:

Hi Mathew,

Please refer to the information we shared with another users recently and let us know if you have further questions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS