🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Working on more than one hourly project i...
Page options
duskoavramovski
Community Member

Working on more than one hourly project in same time

Greetings,

Recently i bought an laptop to help me continue working on fixed projects while i do the heavy PC task of rendering for clients on their hourly contracts on my PC.

However just now i run into an article that one freelancer has been working simultaneously from several desktops and laptops on hourly contracts.

I wanted to ask if that is actually allowed? (Working in same time on two hourly contracts)

Kind regards,

Dusko

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Dusko A wrote:

However just now i run into an article that one freelancer has been working simultaneously from several desktops and laptops on hourly contracts.

It is neither allowed nor possible. The tracker does not track on more than one device at the same time.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
2591126f
Community Member

No it's s not ok to simultaneously book time on two projects.
If you are paid for an hour by a client, you work only on their project for that hour.
No matter if it's somehow technically possible to do on upwork system or not.
Its definitely a violation of upwork ToS and needless to say unethical and probably fraud.
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is NOT allowed.

And the Upwork software automatically prevents freelancers from doing this.

petra_r
Community Member

Dusko A wrote:

It is neither allowed nor possible. The tracker does not track on more than one device at the same time.

Thank you all for pointing that out. First, i share the same opinion as you all, which is why i am asking because i think it is not okay in first place, and it was quite, weird. But reading this guy does that, i thought to ask, because i dont want to find myself violiating any UpWork rules and lose what i have achieved in these past 2 years.

Thank you once more!

Set your projects up as fixed price rather than hourly, if that's feasible.

You run a higher risk of having problems getting paid by dishonest clients, but you would likely make more money in the long run. And for those clients who do pay in full and on time, you'll get paid more quickly than under an hourly arrangement.

re: "But reading this guy does that..."

Either you misunderstood what you were reading, or what he wrote was inaccurate.

Perhaps (as Will alludes to) the guy was talking about working on multiple fixed-price contracts simultaneously. That IS possible. And it IS allowed.

Preston H wrote:

re: "But reading this guy does that..."

Either you misunderstood what you were reading, or what he wrote was inaccurate.

Perhaps (as Will alludes to) the guy was talking about working on multiple fixed-price contracts simultaneously. That IS possible. And it IS allowed.

OR it was a very old blog post, because it used to be technically possible years ago, no still not allowed (obviously.)

augustoreyes89
Community Member

So having already one hourly client the only way to work with another client is to have that second client pay you as a fixed price project?

Augusto R wrote:

So having already one hourly client the only way to work with another client is to have that second client pay you as a fixed price project?

No, you can have multiple hourly contracts, you can't just bill at the same time for each. For example, I have two clients: Bill and Sarah. I track hourly from 8-12 on Bill's contract, and then I work from 1-4 on Sarah's. But I can't bill them both for the same block of time, like 8-12 on both. 

Does that make sense? You can have more than one hourly contract, but you can only bill on one at a time, not simultaneously. 

data_divas
Community Member

You can have more than one client at a time but you can only work on one project at a time with the tracker.  I have several contracts right now, say I work for 2 hours for one contract, switch to the next and work 3 hours then on to a third for 4 hours.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths