Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working outside Upwork

moli22
Andrea M Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
1 of 9

Hello! 

I'm fairly new to upwork and I'm about to finish my first work, the contract (writing an article) only has 1 milestone. I have communicated with the client through Upwork messages and Gmail. The article is  to be deliver in upwork and if everything is ok client is intered in working with me for new articles. Everything seems great BUT...In the last email the client said that he would like us to work with Upwork for a few articles and then keep the client-writer relationship using only emails and PayPal. 

Since I'm new to this platform and actually working as a freelancer this last proposal feels like a red flag to me. Though I'm not sure if this wrong. 

Any suggestion, comments? 

Thanks! 

Andrea. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

Prepare for being both scammed, and kicked from Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

re: "Though I'm not sure if this wrong."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS.

If you are caught, you could (as Rene intimated) have your account suspended or permanently terminated.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 9

If you first connected on Upwork, all payments and contracts must be through Upwork (for at least two years) or you will be kicked off the platform.  This is a huge no-no.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
5 of 9

Andrea,

Respond to the client politely that you are only able to work with clients you met on Upwork via Upwork for 2 years.

Anything else will get you into very deep water and could lose you your Upwork account...

View solution in original post

moli22
Andrea M Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
6 of 9

Thank you Petra! 

That actually feels like a sensible decision for me. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 9

I have had off-platform clients who pay me through Paypal.  For one of them, it's very hard to get him to pay me timely.  That's the big advantage of working through the platform.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

Agreeing with Mary.

Currently all my freelance work is through Upwork, except work with one client.

I get paid automatically through Upwork.

When billing through PayPal, it's on the honor system, and at the client's discretion.

The PayPal client has paid me within minutes of me sending him an invoice. And he has paid me 2 months after sending an invoice.

I'm not interested in more like that.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 9

You can certainly communicate off of this site (other messaging, personal email, Skype or phone calles) and you can certainly exchange files using email attachments, dropbox, Google drive etc.)

BUT.

You must be hired on this site (not by a client's work of mouth saying, 'You're hired."

AND

ALL financial transactions MUST take place on this site.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS