cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working through my own UK based limited company

mjruttenberg
Michael R Member Since: Jul 17, 2017
1 of 6

I am based outside the USA. I was asked for my VAT number. I have one, for my Ltd company (it's not an LLC, it's a Limited Company, which isn't quite the same, AFAIK). I am a director of my own company.

Since I am outside the USA I was asked for my VAT number, so I entered my company's UK VAT number.

On the W-8BEN I was asked for my legal company name, so I entered my company's name.

So from that point on I assume that I am working under my company, but I don't see then how my company would bill Upwork.

I would be liable for UK corporation taxon anything I bill, rather than UK personal tax (which is higher, and involves 2 taxes - income tax and national insurance).

So, how would I bill Upwork as a UK company billing Upwork? I can do this with YunoJuno but I don't see how this would work for Upwork.

You also don't have the means to pay in to a UK account Paypal's exchange rates are awful. Can you do bank deposits in GBP? I don't have a dollars company account.

Then, in the W-8BEN it says am I working for a US company. Most of your clients are US companies, so surely that's a yes?

So many questions, so much ambiguity.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Michael,

I'll ask someone from our team to contact you directly, clarify the details and guide you through completing the appropriate tax form.

Untitled
pkleanthous
Pavlos K Member Since: Jan 9, 2018
3 of 6

Hi, I have the same questions. How can I trade on the platform using my LTD company?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 6

Hi Pavlos, 

I've shared your concern with our team, and one of our team members will reach out to you via ticket to provide more information. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mjruttenberg
Michael R Member Since: Jul 17, 2017
5 of 6

I don't think this was ever resolved. Now my VAT number has been rejected because it doesn't match my name. It is for my company.

This has been a mess from start to finish.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
6 of 6

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your VAT number. I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for that. I'll follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update very soon.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS