🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Working with a Bad Client
Page options
dilankabandara
Community Member

Working with a Bad Client

Hi,

I have achieved Top Rated Recently and I meet a client 14 -20 days ago for a small editing job (20$). I successfully completed the task in under six hours and send it back to him.

From there onwards he asks for a lot of revisions and I have worked at least 50 hours for now. He didn't create any milestones and I had to ask him to create milestones. Also, the job he is asking for now is beyoned my expert area. 

So finally I worked him for 50+ hours for 50$. I keep saying it to that client but he ignores that and sends some extra work. 

So far I worked patiently and I didn't ask any rude things because for my knowledge he will definitely give poor feedback at last. I fear that.

Is there a way to sort out this ?.

BR,

Dilanka

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Since you are top-rated, I don't know why you are doing this to yourself. End the contract, remove the feedback if it's bad. 

grendon
Community Member

HI Dilanka. 

You worked way too much on a promise that you'll get paid. 

How did a "small editing job of $20" turned into a 50+ hours of work?

We have to be firm with our clients, I know we don't want to loose any, but you're putting too much of your talent and time. 

If a task is out of the scope of the job they hired you to do, then a milestone must be created and funded before you move one finger. And let alone if the task is beyond your area of expertise, that might lead to a poorly job done and an excuse for the client to not pay you or ask for refund.  

re: "From there onwards he asks for a lot of revisions and I have worked at least 50 hours for now. He didn't create any milestones and I had to ask him to create milestones. Also, the job he is asking for now is beyoned my expert area. So finally I worked him for 50+ hours for 50$. I keep saying it to that client but he ignores that and sends some extra work."

I'm sorry... but this has nothing to do with the client.

This is a freelancer using Upwork incorrectly and irrationally. Pure and simple.

Dilanka: You should only be using hourly contracts right now. I advise you to not accept fixed-price contracts until you have studied the subject further and created a sensible, proactive plan for NOT WASTING YOUR TIME. You should make a plan for telling clients that your task is done and there will be no revisions, no further work.

Preston,

I've been perusing these threads and your reponse caught my eye.
Could you lend your expertise to my dliemma?
Theres a job posted ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ) in which there is a fixed price . The projects description infers that this would be an ongoing postion. Should I be wary of this ?

Not Preston, obviously, but when a client mentions a long-term relationship, that in itself isn't really the problem. The problem arises when either 1) the client expects you to do work cheap or free on the promise of future work--that is often a scam or 2) you take the client's vague promise of future work too seriously and stop looking for or turn down other work. 

As long as you don't fall victim to either of those traps, it won't matter whether the project actually turns into long-term work. 

Tiffany,

I appreciate your insight.  In my long and storied career, I've have run across a multitude of clients from hell.

Technology may have changed but people haven't.

I'm old school. Usually I am able to smoke them out, but since I'm new to using Upworks, I'm feeling a little hamstrung.

In my non-upworks world,I always demand a deposit, before work commences, on the work I do for new clients for a period of 6 months to a year. I figure if they can't pay the deposit, then they can't afford the project.

We're in different positions a bit (I'm a writer), but my experience on Upwork has been that although a great many clients do become long-term (some several years), that usually starts with a smaller project.  I think it's partly because of the nature of a client coming to Upwork. Some are looking for someone to fill a longer-term role, but often they've been prompted to search for someone to complete a particular task, and then (assuming it works for both of you) that rolls to the next thing and the next. 

tlsanders
Community Member

The best way to sort this out would have been to stop 48 hours of work ago. Since it's too late for that, the next best time to pull the plug is now. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members