🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Working with client with difficult circumstan...
Page options
leeannmerrill
Community Member

Working with client with difficult circumstances

Looking to see what other people's experiences/practices are in situations like mine.

I have a client that I personally like but he presents very difficult circumstances for working with. He has a task for me about four times a year and it's always a short turnaround/emergency basis. He's in a time zone 12 hours from me and wants to schedule calls and meetings at awkward times like 7AM Sunday for me. I do my best to be accommodating but for instance we had a meeting scheduled at 8AM today (Monday) and he didn't show.  The upshot is he has a crazy work situation (there is also a lot of stop-start going on) and is not a great communicator about the substance of what he wants to work on (I write communication documents for his managers for him).  There is a lot of wasted time when I work with him and I don't think there's any way around that, but more he wants me to cap and/or minimize the time I work on these projects. I know he thinks I do a great job and give him great results for his needs. I have told him that I cannot both work on this crazy schedule/emergency/stop=start basis and minimize his costs. Does anyone else have experience with this? What are your tools for handling - for instance, everyone misses a meeting once in a while probably but these time-wasters are a regular part of my work with this client.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...but more he wants me to cap and/or minimize the time I work on these projects"

No.

I am going to log all of the time I spend working on behalf of this client.

If the client believes that I am too expensive, then he can hire somebody else.

But you know what?

I'm very good at what I do.

My rate is higher than what many other freelancers charge.

But I know the client has TRIED to hire other freelancers and has kept coming back to me because overall I help him more and save him money.

If I decide to continue working for this client, it will be on my terms. The client will decide whether or not I am worth the expense. He is not required to hire me, and I am certainly not required to continue working for him.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tlbp
Community Member

I think you probably know that it is time to say good-bye to this client. He needs to find a cheaper provider. You are sacrificing your peace for his convenience. 

Well that is the truth!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...but more he wants me to cap and/or minimize the time I work on these projects"

No.

I am going to log all of the time I spend working on behalf of this client.

If the client believes that I am too expensive, then he can hire somebody else.

But you know what?

I'm very good at what I do.

My rate is higher than what many other freelancers charge.

But I know the client has TRIED to hire other freelancers and has kept coming back to me because overall I help him more and save him money.

If I decide to continue working for this client, it will be on my terms. The client will decide whether or not I am worth the expense. He is not required to hire me, and I am certainly not required to continue working for him.

Ha ha a very simple and effective two-letter tool: "no."

I just realized something too - people don't pay less for these types of services - they pay more for the premium of having someone on call!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members