Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with *edited*

44d21a03
Sabrina C Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
1 of 15

Hello there my fellow freelancers,

I wanted to bring a client to your attention. **edited for Community Guidelines**, and I wrote three articles for him. If you chose to write for him, please be careful because if it's not 110% perfect, he will cut your pay in half!!!! This was my experience with him, and I want to warn you that he wants top-quality work and he wants to pay you as little as possible. 

So, here's my story with him. I'm new to the freelancing field, and I love what I do; I also happen to be a good English writer.**edited for Community Guidelines** hired me a couple of weeks ago and was pleased with my first two articles. The second one had ONE typo, but that didn't take away from the content or flow. I simply corrected it and sent it back to him. The 3rd article I wrote was torn to bits, and he made rules for English punctuation that is incorrect. In fact, he sent me his "editor's comments, " and much of what was written about my writing was that he would have used a different synonym and that I should have used conjunctions more in my writing. Both of these are personal preferences, not an error in the writing itself. When a client requests a writer, they are displaying a level of trust that the writer will convey the message in an informative, concise manner. This is exactly what I did. The "editor" also said that I needed to put extra spaces between the last word in the sentence and the period. This is not proper English punctuation rules. I looked it up, and the extra spacing pertains to some European rules for punctuation. It was for these reasons that he cut my pay in half. He specifically wanted a native English-speaking person, and I delivered just what he asked for. I also did all of my research on the topics he gave me, so I put a lot of time into my work. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that he is not worth my time and effort.

***If anyone comes across him, please don't work for him unless you can read his mind and use the vocabulary words he wants you to use and unless you know the different forms of punctuation that will be required of you.  Please be wary of him!

Your fellow freelancer, Sabrina C

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 15

It's against TOS to name names here, so that part of your post will be removed in short order.

The more important point here, though, is HOW did he "cut your pay in half"? Were you working on an hourly contract or fixed price? Had he not escrowed funds?

44d21a03
3 of 15

Hi Tiffany,

My apologies for using his name, this is my firstt time posting something to the community.

The client had funds in escrow, but the contract was for $2/100 words. The article was for 1200 words, and I should have received $24. He paid me $12 instead.

I sure am learning alot as I go through this process.

Thanks, Sabrina

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 15

@Sabrina C wrote:

The client had funds in escrow, but the contract was for $2/100 words. The article was for 1200 words, and I should have received $24. He paid me $12 instead.

Thanks, Sabrina

Sabrina - If he paid you $12, (unless I'm wrong) then that was how much he deposited into escrow. His communciation might have been $24, and both of you could very well have agreed on $24, but the client only funded half. That's why I alway say, make sure escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job, or for each milestone (if any) as they come up BEFORE you start working. Because whatever is in escrow is what you will receive.

The only other thing that could have happened IMO is that he fully funded escrow, but he only released $12 of that amount and asked for a refund. You may have agreed to that request, on was unresponsive and because of that, the refund request went through.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 15

Hi Sabrina, 

I'm sorry that you had an unfortunate experience with this client. You may report these incidences to the team so that they can review the client's account. 

I also had to edit your post as it violated the Community Guidelines which states that including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing is not allowed. We'd appreciate it if you could be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the community.

~ Avery
Upwork
44d21a03
6 of 15

Hi Avery,

Thank you much for the help. I brought my concerns about this person to Upwork's attention and they looked into his identity, which was not the issue I had with him. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I can warn other freelancers about him because imho he is not an honest person. He wanted a US English writer and that's what I am, but according to his editor, that's not the case. 

Anyway, I guess other freelancers may have to learn the hard way about him like I did, which is very unfortunate.

Sabrina

44d21a03
7 of 15

PS ~ per my previous post to Tiffany, I did not know the guidlines for posting and thank you for bringing them to my attention. I'll be sure to review them. (Smile)

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 15

I'm not sure if the original poster understands that names don't matter.

She seems to regret being unable to warn people of certain clients by name. But that is not what matters. The names were probably fake, anyway. Scammers simply make up names or copy names from the Internet. There is no way that a list of names of "bad clients" could work.

What matters is behavior. Always.

Successful freelancers learn to distinguish between good and bad behaviors.

I never look at client or company names. I don't need to.

nikkigaskins
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
9 of 15

Sabrina, I would suggest that when the project is closed out, rate him accordingly and leave feedback. That's the best way to warn/help other freelancers. 

For me personally, if I see a lot of negative feedback from freelancers to a client, I use that as a red flag. Sometimes, though, you do have to take your chances with a new client who has no prior feedback.

44d21a03
10 of 15

Hello there everyone!

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback! Yes, I did give him a very negative review and I am very sorry that I cannot warn others because I cannot mention him by name, but maybe this will help others in some way.

As far as scammers go, I have had my fair share of them here and I'm still learning how to distinguish them. I never realized how many there are, because I'm just not that way at all, but some people will manipulate and conive to get what they want I guess. How sad, ya know?

Anyway, thanks again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS