🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Worried about 100% Job rating
Page options
lpenketh
Community Member

Worried about 100% Job rating

Hello I am wondering if you could give me some advice. I prevously worked for a client who is very reticent about paying his staff - those that arent working through Upwork. It has been a nightmare for them to get paid each month, with their pay coming in on alsorts of weird dates, and some not getting paid at all. A Sales manager I hired (not through Upwork) for the client has recently been sacked for non performance, however, the Sales Manager is now threatening to sue the client for non payment of commission and basic. The client is saying that I sent the Sales Manager the wrong contract to sign - I did send the final version, however the Sales Manager signed and sent back the original contract, the final version went to his spam folder. Although I was HR manager (allegedly) I did not have any say in how the contract was put together and it was my client who was continually altering it. I am now no longer working for the client due to personal reasons  (my contract is on pause) but I am worried he is going to put some negative feedback on my file, or  ask for the money he paid me to be refunded. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this on Upwork and I have been working here for 8 years. Very upsetting.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Louise P wrote:

I am worried he is going to put some negative feedback on my file, or  ask for the money he paid me to be refunded.

1) Are you top rated? If so, you may want to use your perk in case the client leaves poor feedback

2) Is it an hourly contract or fixed rate?

• If it is hourly, the client can only dispute hours logged during the previous 30 days.
  • If fixed rate, the client can dispute everything that was ever paid, provided the last time a milestone was funded was in the last 30 days. This is super dangerous with large fixed rate contracts that come to a standstill periodically or have gone dormant. If the client decides a year after the last milestone to fund a $ 5 milestone, which you have no way to turn down, they can potentially dispute everything paid over years.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Louise P wrote:

I am worried he is going to put some negative feedback on my file, or  ask for the money he paid me to be refunded.

1) Are you top rated? If so, you may want to use your perk in case the client leaves poor feedback

2) Is it an hourly contract or fixed rate?

• If it is hourly, the client can only dispute hours logged during the previous 30 days.
  • If fixed rate, the client can dispute everything that was ever paid, provided the last time a milestone was funded was in the last 30 days. This is super dangerous with large fixed rate contracts that come to a standstill periodically or have gone dormant. If the client decides a year after the last milestone to fund a $ 5 milestone, which you have no way to turn down, they can potentially dispute everything paid over years.

lpenketh
Community Member

Thank you so much Petra, I am a top rated freelancer with 100% job success. How would I use my perk, just in case he sends me negative feedback?

And my contract is an hourly rate - my last payment was August 7th. 

So I should be safe with regards to any refund requested.

Louise

petra_r
Community Member

Louise P wrote:

Thank you so much Petra, I am a top rated freelancer with 100% job success. How would I use my perk, just in case he sends me negative feedback?

You just use the instructions in the link I posted for you above 😉 (links being that green text...)

lpenketh
Community Member

Thanks Petra, panic over x Have a great rest of the weekend!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths