cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would all contracts with a client be involved if I report him?

Highlighted
Marion Gale G Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
1 of 5

Hello, just a quick run through -

I had two contracts with this client. Client made me do work not related to the contract (1st contract). When I confronted him about it, he told me that it wasn't that much of a job anyway and there is no need to have a separate job for that, so I filed a report to customer support. I already sent my proof and I'm now just waiting for it to be processed. The 2nd contract, however, has no problems.

My problem here is  should I still be working on the 2nd contract (which I'm already halfway done)? Would this be included in the report?

Right now, I am still chatting with this client - he still doesn't seem to get my point and still insists that all the job I have done not related to contract shouldn't have to be paid.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Marion, are those 2 fixed rate contracts?

Treat them as non-related to each other, and the one without an issue as non related to your report to Customer Support.

Do the work that you are contractually obliged to do on both contracts.

Just how much "extra / unrelated" work is it that you are being or were asked to do?

Has the first contract been ended (You say you had two contracts) If the first contract is ended, how did the client make you do extra work? Were there any threats or force? What are you asking or expecting Support to do about it?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 5

I am from Elance, where we had Business Terms that were part of the project. All the details of the project were included in th ebusiness terms. The service provider wrote up the business terms and the client was required to agree to them. Anything not in the business terms was not included in the project and was subject to additional payment.  They avoided a lot of disputes, since both parties can see exactly what was agreed upon. There is nothing like that here to protect both the service provider and the client. I include them anyway for my protection.

They are NEEDED IMMEDIATELY for everyone's protection.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 5
Dan, you can enter into any contract you want with your clients, as has been confirmed here by Garnor.

Document them by inclusion and reference. Make sure they are reasonable and customary for your field. Include a supersession clause. Done deal.

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 5

@Marion Gale G wrote:

Client made me do work not related to the contract (1st contract). 

How?

When I confronted him about it, he told me that it wasn't that much of a job anyway and there is no need to have a separate job for that, so I filed a report to customer support. I already sent my proof and I'm now just waiting for it to be processed.

How did this become a matter for discussion or dispute, rather than simply a matter of refusing to do work you had not contracted to do? What do you mean, "filed a report to customer support"? Are you in dispute, or not?

My problem here is  should I still be working on the 2nd contract (which I'm already halfway done)? Would this be included in the report?

Right now, I am still chatting with this client - he still doesn't seem to get my point and still insists that all the job I have done not related to contract shouldn't have to be paid.

What exactly is your problem with the 2nd contract? If you are in agreement with the client about the deliverables and expect payment, deliver and get paid. If not, stop work on anything you haven't agreed to and bill for the work agreed to.

Best,

Michael

p.s. I welcome hearing that I've misread your account. As I read it though, your client is "right" that the jobs you have done "not related to contract" shouldn't have to be paid. Because he shouldn't have asked for them, and you shouldn't have done them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS