cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Would you Hire Again?

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
11 of 27
Their official stance on the matter has been, that from their research and data, the feedback questions are adequate in capturing the clients responses.

Furthermore there is no confusion in the metric, and there is no immediate plans to make any adjustments.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 27

I'm sure that's the official version, Setu; but I'm also very sure that if they were to ask a representative sample of clients the question, "What  is the highest score on this that you think represents a poor outcome for the freelancer?" very few would answer "8". So yes, I believe there is confusion because clients are not given this information when asked to give a score.

Usually when they say there is no confusion among clients, it really means that clients are doing what they want them to do, so they see no problem, Different thing really.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 27

Stephen & Setu, I think it's an article of faith with Upwork management that the private feedback question is perfect and thus any modification would reduce its effectiveness and any clarification would be superfluous. But a confirmation or denial from a moderator would be nice.

14 of 27

"But a confirmation or denial from a moderator would be nice"

Lol - They want to keep their jobs . . .

Community Guru
15 of 27

While I also consider that the JSS needs a bit of re-working and alot of transparency, I have a different opinion on the impact of the various components.

I have posted this several times before, and still stick to my conclusion. The "Recommendation" score based on the NPS system, in my opinion, does not carry significant weight in the overall score calculations. Why is it that this is the only portion of the private feedback that is made public to the freelancer. It is not hidden.

Furthermore, most freelancers, even throughout the wild JSS fluctuations, still enjoy between 85% - 90% "Recommended" score. From deduction, it is clear then that this does not carry as much weight as we think. On top of that, its effects can be monitored.

The Moderators are bound by the platform in regard to the answers that can be provided. But at times you have to put weight on what is said, and what is not said. There has been no report in documentation, or by a Mod, that this "Recommended" score actually influences the JSS. What is consistently stated, is "Private Feedback" - in particular, "Successful vs Unsuccesful" outcome. This is why I continue to believe that this is the end all for the JSS.

Think about those dud contracts that never got off the ground, but you were super helpful to client for various reasons. The Client closes the contract and cannot choose "Successful" because the work did not begin. Undoubtedly the client also gives a 8 or 9 for showing them the ropes etc; yet your JSS takes a hit.

I am not defending the calculation of the JSS, but I really think we focus on the parts of the calculation that contribute next to nothing, in how the score fluctuates.

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
16 of 27

Quote: Here's a thought, instead of using the term "would you hire again" 

Not sure where you go that from, when ending a contract this is what clients are asked http://screencast.com/t/1LeRXEEIFqps

Kim H Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
17 of 27

@Natasha R wrote:

Quote: Here's a thought, instead of using the term "would you hire again" 

Not sure where you go that from, when ending a contract this is what clients are asked http://screencast.com/t/1LeRXEEIFqps

Thanks Natasha!!  Someone else mentioned something like this, too.  I was misinformed. 

That screenshot was really helpful.  It seems the clients need more information on that line.  10 is extremely likely, but if 8 knocks a freelancer's JSS down (I'm speculating from what I've read on other posts) then that point on the line should have a short blurb of what it means to choose that area of the scale.

Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
18 of 27

I hope I don't get into trouble for this. But this has been posted before anyhow my me.

For all those thinking that "good scores" are only 9 or 10, and for all those thinking that the client did not know what the numbers meant - it is not true. And yes they get prompted based on the range of numbers chosen.

Also, with all the Freelancers/Client accounts here, only a few are ever bold enough to convey more information about the other side. And it is not illegal.

I don't think there is any more evidence I can provide to convey my point.

4 and below

four.JPG

7 and above

seven.JPG

5-6 no changes or prompt

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
19 of 27

@Setu M wrote:

I hope I don't get into trouble for this. But this has been posted before anyhow my me.

For all those thinking that "good scores" are only 9 or 10, and for all those thinking that the client did not know what the numbers meant - it is not true. And yes they get prompted based on the range of numbers chosen.

Also, with all the Freelancers/Client accounts here, only a few are ever bold enough to convey more information about the other side. And it is not illegal.

I don't think there is any more evidence I can provide to convey my point.

4 and below

four.JPG

7 and above

seven.JPG

5-6 no changes or prompt

This is new then as I have never seen it when closing a contract even clicking out of curiousity what would show up. And Something Else well that could be anything.... I had one close the contract and he said he thought 7 was good but I believe he was not ask why. 

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
20 of 27

It's not new.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS