🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Would you consider this ethical?
Page options
tanyalyntom
Community Member

Would you consider this ethical?

So I submitted a topic last week that was wildely taken out of context, but I digress. 

This is what I was trying to describe (all be it I did not do a great job explaining it the first time) to freelancers.

This is a COMMON reply to proposals from Social Media Marketing Clients and it's SO insanely unethical for these reasons:

1. You're literally asking for FREE work. 

2. You're asking me to GIVE AWAY my expert advice that could forward your marketing efforts FOR FREE. You're not paying me to just execute, you're paying for my 15 years of experience and social media branding knowledge. So NO, I will NOT submit to you how I would SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM for free. That is WHAT you would be paying me for. To SOLVE your problem.

3. Just no. It's unethical. It's disrespectful. My portfolio gives you plenty of CASE STUDIES, so you KNOW how I've solved other clients' problems. My profile also has several client reviews that share with you that I communicate well, and execute well.

Here is what they said:

"Hello Tanya,

My name is name I am the assistant to company name. Woman's name, The CEO would like to schedule an interview with you this week if possible. I know its short notice but if you are available Wednesday or Friday that would be great. I can provide some times if so, if not please provide alternatives.

We would ask if you could submit a brief proposal on the following: (*KEEP IN MIND I ALREADY SUBMITTED A PROPOSAL THE 1ST TIME)

This exercise is to understand how you would approach our marketing and communications. You may submit in PowerPoint form, report form, or video format. We welcome creativity and you may submit past examples of work if already created.

1. How would you prepare and promote a Black Friday sale or similar promotional launch?

2. Our audience consumes branding and marketing tips/business education. Draft a 3-day post schedule of what you would post. Ex: Monday- Tip of the Day Tuesday-Tutorial Wednesday- Resource of the day

Thank you & hope to hear from you soon!

Egypt"

Are you kidding me!

This is literally asking me to WORK FOR FREE.

Just crazy.

Thoughts?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

I fully agree with Prashant and would reply "I see that you are seeking professional guidance specifically for the Black Friday promotion. I am experienced in such projects, as per my work portfolio and clients' reviews in my profile. I will be happy to assist you, please understand that this will attract a service fee. I look forward to hearing from you, warm regards"

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
bobafett999
Community Member

Yes that is crazy and asking for free work.  Dump them.  You can also send them link to your profile indicating satisfactory reviews from your other customer.  This buyer is experienced in asking specific questions to get free advice. Also, you will have to learn to be evasive.  Not many people are good at it (I am not good at talking for 10 minutes that may sound interesting, but it is just bs)

You may also point out that what they are asking is very specific.  You will be happy to consult with them and give them a road map after couple of hours of paid consultation. 

You may also get some advice from Samer B, he is in same field as you  and has made over 2 million.  He is willing to help

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

I fully agree with Prashant and would reply "I see that you are seeking professional guidance specifically for the Black Friday promotion. I am experienced in such projects, as per my work portfolio and clients' reviews in my profile. I will be happy to assist you, please understand that this will attract a service fee. I look forward to hearing from you, warm regards"

Very good, but I would be happy to encourage a phone call. It is a lot easier to get the measure of a  potential client on the phone and much easier to side-step any attempts by them to get free information or work from me.

Thank you Will, but personally, during such phone call I would risk to become too enthusiastic and give out too much. In such dodgy situations, I would rather stick to writing. For me, the call comes when they accept that work has to be paid for, otherwise is just a waste of time 😉

bobafett999
Community Member

Nicely worded and non offensive!  I need to learn that too!

Yes!  I agree. I totally saved that response! 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Dear woman's name, that sounds great! Let me know when you are ready to send an offer for this task. I expect it to take around XX hours. 

alan_perlman
Community Member

The key is to get very good at explaining  what you can do without actually telling them what you will do: you draw the line at a certain level of specificity.

virtualbrix
Community Member

I am all about a phone call also but keep it limited. "Hey NAME, can we jump on a 10 minute call to talk about the requiremnet"

Community Member

Tanya, this is certainly poor practice. It seems like a boilerplate HR response. You can report them for requesting free work, which is a violation of the ToS. At least, that might spook them enough to stop using boilerplates.

And kudos for acknowledging the flaw in your previous presentation! I respect that.

dcapdevielle
Community Member

They are asking to work for free. 
You can report/flag it to upwork.

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Sure, but its all about how you respond...

"Sure, I would be happy to get started on the requested materials.  Let's go ahead and get a contract started...."

"Sure, I can start on those proposals as soon as we establish a contract..."

"I am happy to get started on those for you.  I'll need to be on contract to start work, did you have a moment to discuss that?"

So on.

"I can get started on this as soon as you accept my proposal."

*I know you Scrooge have been trying to avoid talking about a contract so far, but..."

Oops. Just thinking out loud.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members