🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Would you report dubious qualifications o...
Page options
leslie-wagle
Community Member

Would you report dubious qualifications of another freelancer?

This is pretty touchy and UpWork might not like it if I pursued this. I have spotted someone who claims a degree which might have been earned but I have researched and it has no courses related to the skill being claimed. Also the person is careful not to use a professional title (ie. "registered -----") but claims to have "practiced" it, which gets around that issue.

I'm not saying the freelancer hasn't adquired some related skills but I suspect there is also a real overall deficit and because of the slippery language, innocent clients are being pulled in. In fact, this freelancer has a lot of jobs and for general concepts may have pleased a portion of clients and a few have left positive comments. I'm not trying to get the person removed but wish UpWork would do a little scratching the surface and make people describe themselves honestly. There have been fees paid and money made this way by the person; I just feel it should be about not just making net money but not misleading people in the process. But I guess "buyer beware" since what I've learned anybody else also could do with a moment's effort. And maybe this person is very careful to only send proposals where limited skills would suffice, which I suspect has a lot to do with the "success" rate.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Leslie W wrote:

I'm honestly trying to understand something important and offer a suggestion, which I don't think is "creepy" but could actually help both clients and upwork.

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this. In which case, carry on I guess. If it is, then a field to show who is who would help clients who may have reasons to need that info.

The in progress contracts may not matter but asked about it because I had read UpWork didn't want to see very large piles of them. 

I would assume that this was a conscious choice, as it's been verified by Upwork reps that they made a conscious choice not to address serious legal and professional responsibility issues in the legal field. I don't know why they'd take a different approach in other fields. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you want to, you could make a full-time job of going after dubious freelancer profiles.

You wouldn't get paid anything for it, but there's certainly enough work to keep you busy if you want to do that.

Yes I am still pondering this. In a way it's "none of my business" as it is hard to prove who it directly affects. 

Leslie W wrote:

Yes I am still pondering this. In a way it's "none of my business" as it is hard to prove who it directly affects. 

I disagree - it does affect you as a freelancer because I think that the presence of so many liars and scammers is scaring some clients away from using Upwork. 

Leslie W wrote:

all honest freelancers, as Christine said.

florydev
Community Member

@petra_r wrote:

Leslie W wrote:

all honest freelancers, as Christine said.

I am honestly to the point where if I bother and see something weird then I report it.  There are some that are just too obvious (looking at  you forum post self-accusers with your suddenly changing sex, ethnicity, and country).

At this point if I see something funny I just flag it and let Go...ran sort it out.

Just to follow up, after getting the advice here, I did send in the outline info. and maybe they will look at it. I actually kind of think it's natural that upwork would be an attractor for people who are sort of "irregulars," that is, lack the completed formal training/licensing for some reason, and need an income. Very huge jobs in my field don't come through here, so there are many smaller service needs that get met. But I do have an idea. Along with school training, there could be another field for "professional registrations" for qualified freelancers, similar to the list of certificates (heavily showing software training). It would enhance the platform to show those. although you can just add it into your self description.

My second concern on the profile that started this, is that the person is showing what seems to be an extraordinary number of "in progress" jobs. I'd like to know what other members think is too many. I've had 3 or 4 and it seemed to drive down my average but this person is far above that. It looks like a lot of low bidding to mop up the field, then slow performance (that wouldn't help UpWork either) but there are no prices showing. I don't even want that kind of volumn and apprehension it would bring; I want to take good care of each contract.

Any thoughts?

Leslie W wrote:

Just to follow up, after getting the advice here, I did send in the outline info. and maybe they will look at it. I actually kind of think it's natural that upwork would be an attractor for people who are sort of "irregulars," that is, lack the completed formal training/licensing for some reason, and need an income. Very huge jobs in my field don't come through here, so there are many smaller service needs that get met. But I do have an idea. Along with school training, there could be another field for "professional registrations" for qualified freelancers, similar to the list of certificates (heavily showing software training). It would enhance the platform to show those. although you can just add it into your self description.

My second concern on the profile that started this, is that the person is showing what seems to be an extraordinary number of "in progress" jobs. I'd like to know what other members think is too many. I've had 3 or 4 and it seemed to drive down my average but this person is far above that. It looks like a lot of low bidding to mop up the field, then slow performance (that wouldn't help UpWork either) but there are no prices showing. I don't even want that kind of volumn and apprehension it would bring; I want to take good care of each contract.

Any thoughts?

In progress could just mean that the client never closed the contract. There are certifications that freelancers can list on their profiles. You are spending more time looking at this freelancer's profile than I spend crafting a proposal. Why?

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Any thoughts?

In progress could just mean that the client never closed the contract. There are certifications that freelancers can list on their profiles. You are spending more time looking at this freelancer's profile than I spend crafting a proposal. Why?

I agree with Tonya.

How many contracts someone has in process is frankly not much of an indication of anything.

I have way too many right now... (I really, REALLY need to tidy that up)

The idea that someone could crawl over my profile and suspect nasty stuff based on the number of my open contracts is downright creepy.

I wonder how that person would feel if he or she read this thread.

Weirded out most likely.

I'm honestly trying to understand something important and offer a suggestion, which I don't think is "creepy" but could actually help both clients and upwork.

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this. In which case, carry on I guess. If it is, then a field to show who is who would help clients who may have reasons to need that info.

The in progress contracts may not matter but asked about it because I had read UpWork didn't want to see very large piles of them. 

Leslie W wrote:

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this

Upwork does not check the qualifications mentioned on millions of profiles from all over the globe.

If you have evidence that someone is lying, by all means, please DO flag the profile with brief details. Upwork will check and take action if a violation of the terms of service is found.

How many jobs in progress someone has is irrelevant in this context, not a sign of any wrongdoing, and nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Leslie W wrote:

It is up to the client to confirm the qualifications of the individual they choose to hire. Just as in the real world, anyone can claim certain certifications. Besides, licensing requirements, if any, would vary by jurisdiction. 

Yes, requirements would vary but we can encourage showing current state(s) in which licensed. Anyway, thanks to all for you insights on this from a platform standpoint. And on the in progress explanation.

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

It is up to the client to confirm the qualifications of the individual they choose to hire. Just as in the real world, anyone can claim certain certifications. Besides, licensing requirements, if any, would vary by jurisdiction. 

People, especially newbies, filter the vastness that is Upwork through their own skillset and then their location.

Upwork isn't an architecture in the US site.

There are Millions of profiles on Upwork - from 180 countries and many times as many states, areas, provinces, offering 100s of different skills, each with their own area of expertise, corresponding qualifications or certifications or licensing... Then add to that the fact that clients are also from as many countries

It would be absolutely impossible to verify what applies to which client - freelancer relationship.

Leslie W wrote:

I would assume that this was a conscious choice, as it's been verified by Upwork reps that they made a conscious choice not to address serious legal and professional responsibility issues in the legal field. I don't know why they'd take a different approach in other fields. 

I certainly know Upwork isn't limited to the US, but the sample case person operates in a state here and other countries have comparable standards. There was no explanation about the location of the school, which might have helped; and I didn't find the question covered in terms of service.

Interesting to know about the legal field being a conscious decision for comparison.

Again thanks to all for your insights.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Leslie,

Feel free to send me the details via PM so that our team can investigate it further. If any violations are found proper actions will be taken. Thank you for reporting this.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths