cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you report dubious qualifications of another freelancer?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 17

Leslie W wrote:

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this

Upwork does not check the qualifications mentioned on millions of profiles from all over the globe.

If you have evidence that someone is lying, by all means, please DO flag the profile with brief details. Upwork will check and take action if a violation of the terms of service is found.

How many jobs in progress someone has is irrelevant in this context, not a sign of any wrongdoing, and nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 17

Leslie W wrote:

I'm honestly trying to understand something important and offer a suggestion, which I don't think is "creepy" but could actually help both clients and upwork.

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this. In which case, carry on I guess. If it is, then a field to show who is who would help clients who may have reasons to need that info.

The in progress contracts may not matter but asked about it because I had read UpWork didn't want to see very large piles of them. 

It is up to the client to confirm the qualifications of the individual they choose to hire. Just as in the real world, anyone can claim certain certifications. Besides, licensing requirements, if any, would vary by jurisdiction. 

Leslie W Member Since: May 21, 2019
13 of 17

Yes, requirements would vary but we can encourage showing current state(s) in which licensed. Anyway, thanks to all for you insights on this from a platform standpoint. And on the in progress explanation.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

Tonya P wrote:

It is up to the client to confirm the qualifications of the individual they choose to hire. Just as in the real world, anyone can claim certain certifications. Besides, licensing requirements, if any, would vary by jurisdiction. 

People, especially newbies, filter the vastness that is Upwork through their own skillset and then their location.

Upwork isn't an architecture in the US site.

There are Millions of profiles on Upwork - from 180 countries and many times as many states, areas, provinces, offering 100s of different skills, each with their own area of expertise, corresponding qualifications or certifications or licensing... Then add to that the fact that clients are also from as many countries

It would be absolutely impossible to verify what applies to which client - freelancer relationship.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
15 of 17

Leslie W wrote:

I'm honestly trying to understand something important and offer a suggestion, which I don't think is "creepy" but could actually help both clients and upwork.

There are no certifications for professional licenses for a group of fields related to architecture and engineering, that are meaningful and required out in the real world by state laws. If you take unstamped documents in to get permits for some things, the drawings will not pass permitting. People who use terms like "architect" in the outside world are supposed to be licensed (having to do with public safety). I just wonder if UpWork is aware and made a choice not to be concerned with this. In which case, carry on I guess. If it is, then a field to show who is who would help clients who may have reasons to need that info.

The in progress contracts may not matter but asked about it because I had read UpWork didn't want to see very large piles of them. 

I would assume that this was a conscious choice, as it's been verified by Upwork reps that they made a conscious choice not to address serious legal and professional responsibility issues in the legal field. I don't know why they'd take a different approach in other fields. 

Leslie W Member Since: May 21, 2019
16 of 17

I certainly know Upwork isn't limited to the US, but the sample case person operates in a state here and other countries have comparable standards. There was no explanation about the location of the school, which might have helped; and I didn't find the question covered in terms of service.

Interesting to know about the legal field being a conscious decision for comparison.

Again thanks to all for your insights.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
17 of 17

Hi Leslie,

Feel free to send me the details via PM so that our team can investigate it further. If any violations are found proper actions will be taken. Thank you for reporting this.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS