cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wow, I've seen it all!

Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
1 of 43

I have only been with Upwork for about 4 months now, and I feel I've seen some ridiculous job posts in a short amount of time. This one is probably one of the worst.

"[insert beginning of job description] - NO ASIAN WRITERS!" from a client with a high rating?!

...shake my head all the way to the report button!

**Edit: mods, why is there no other option for flagging such as "violates other terms of service"?

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
2 of 43

They're either racists or traumatized by faux (Asian) writers.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
3 of 43

Don't get the Libertarians started on this, they'll accuse you of trying to curtail the freedom of the individual, and, more significantly, FREE TRADE; ultimately leading to worldwide Marxism, the end of societal progression and mass starvation. Cat Very Happy

(I and others will offer some opinions too, most of which will be edited or deleted)

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
4 of 43
The community is quite lively today.

Better question is, why isn't there a team to vet job postings before they go live. I bet that would fix many problems. Glancing over a post takes only a few seconds.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
5 of 43

Hi Guys,

There is indeed a vetting process in place, conducted by a team called Market Research Quality or MQ as they are commonly referred to. They have certain benchmarks to compare each job post and if a particular job post violates the criteria then it is flagged or the Client is advised to make changes to continue.

Some of the criteria that immediately comes to my mind are:

Discrimination: No discrimination is tolerated on basis of race/ religion or any other kind. Every eligible freelancer has the right to apply for a job, irrespective if he is in the US or India.

Intermediation: If a job post, encourages freelancers to work outside of Upwork, such job posts are flagged immediately.

Adult content: If a job involves exposure to Adult content, it needs to be clearly mentioned in the job title

Bait and Switch: If a post advertises certain amount of work for the said fees and when the contract is awarded the client increased the workload, it is immediately flagged.

Lottery/ Work for free: Any job post that asks freelancers to work for free, in return for a prize or a feedback, is in violation of the code of conduct and will be flagged.

These are few that I can still remember but there are others are well to ensure that we, the freelancers, are not taken for a ride. However, we need to understand that every second there are new job posts being added and the MQ team does try their best to go through each of them, hence some of the nefarious ones do sneak in.

So, now that you guys know....if you see a job post that violates freelancer's right, go ahead and report it. The MQ team will thank you for that.

Cheers!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 43

Thanks for the info Nikhil, but I was referring to vetting the job before posting, not after - that's pretty much useless.

Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
7 of 43

A valid point, Setu.

Freelancers are required to wait for the verification to be complete before they can apply to jobs.

Similarly all job posts submitted by Clients, should be sent to the "Vetting pool" and then when after getting the Thumbs up from MQ team....should be  published to the 'Live' Job posts pool.

If it makes sense to a menial freelancer like me, it should ring bells with Upwork too Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 43

re: "...I've seen some ridiculous job posts in a short amount of time. ... NO ASIAN WRITERS!"

Jaimie, you are clearly evaluating this job posting in light of contemporary social norms. So, yes, it is shocking to the senses in that respect.

It's all well and good to decry such a job posting, but the job posting was clearly posted by somebody who had hired more than one Asian writer in the past, and had lost time and money as a result because these individuals claimed to be able to write intelligible English, and they could not. They were not native English speakers, or even if they were, they lacked the skill to do the job the client hired them to do.

Probably the client was hiring these writers from less-developed nations where people were were willing to work for less per hour. The client probably tried to save money doing so, and it ended up costing him. Is that the fault of all legitimate, talented Asian writers? No, obviously not. But to simply say this is "ridiculous" fails to grapple with the facts that led up to this client posting just a job listing, and fails to recognize that the client's decision was a rational economic decision, even if it seems inelegant.

In order to not raise the ire of the many people who might object to such a job posting, the client could do what many other clients do, which is to NOT specify their intent so boldly, and to allow Asian would-be writers to apply to his job application, and then simply move them them all into the discard bin. If warned against such job postings, this client will indeed heed such warnings and job postings more compliant with contemporary social norms and Upwork standards, but some people will apply to his future job postings who actually have no chance of being hired.

It is unfortunate that unprofessional unqualified contractors from any region or background tarnish the reputation for all the rest, but that is what happens.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 43

@Preston H wrote:

Jaimie, you are clearly evaluating this job posting in light of contemporary social norms. So, yes, it is shocking to the senses in that respect.

Um, OK. Is there an alternative set of social norms she should be applying?

I'm afraid you go on, Preston, to suggest an alternative scheme of judgment based on a series of suppositions (however plausible) that you then call facts.

I'll take Jaimie's criteria, thanks!

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
10 of 43

It is both offensive and illegal

• Job posts should not express any preference or otherwise discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military/veteran status or any basis protected by applicable law.

https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/client-policies/

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS