Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, I've seen it all!

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
31 of 43

I think Setu has started to hit the nail on the head:

"We also seem to forget that there is already a legitimate location filter built-in that the client can choose when posting a job. So shouting NO *** or ONLY *** is really unnecessary."

and the reason I believe that is that of folk history. In the same way that use of the N word is universally shunned/abhorred nowadays, I think the very notion of posting any kind of notice with "NO .... region/ethnic group" rubs on a nerve, and inevitably stirs not-too-distant folk memories of "NO BLACKS" or "NO DOGS, NO IRISH". There are other ways of specifiying or excluding a region that don't rub these nerves, which should be an acceptable workaround to anyone but the most insensitive and blinkered among us...

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
32 of 43
Spot on Stephen.

This is the reason I love your analogies / examples.

An appropriate method is provided by Upwork - use it.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
33 of 43

Thanks Setu and we agree. If you find a job post that appears to violate policy, please report it. We do have mechanisms in place to flag and remove posts up front, but these systems aren't going to catch everything. We appreciate your help in flagging those for which we should take another look.

p.s. Thanks for the concern everyone, but I'm still here. Maybe it wasn't concern and just wishful thinking....Smiley Very Happy

Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
34 of 43

@Garnor M wrote:

Thanks Setu and we agree. If you find a job post that appears to violate policy, please report it. We do have mechanisms in place to flag and remove posts up front, but these systems aren't going to catch everything. We appreciate your help in flagging those for which we should take another look.

p.s. Thanks for the concern everyone, but I'm still here. Maybe it wasn't concern and just wishful thinking....Smiley Very Happy

Hi Garnor,

Exactly which option are we supposed to use when flagging? I didn't see any option for this particular case. I don't think any of these apply: 

flagging.png

When I reported this to CS, I actually got a friendly response saying they would take care of the job post, but they also felt the need to teach me where to find the "flag as inappropriate" option. I politely replied that I knew how to flag, but I didn't see an appropriate box to select. I then asked which one they suggested I use.

I was pretty surprised to get a reply not only from a different CS representative, but this new person didn't even answer my question. I just got a "Thank you for contacting Upwork! Please note we have taken appropriate measures against the account..." so on and so forth, typical automatic response. I'm sure not impressed about that.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
35 of 43

Hi Jaime,

Valid point, we will check back with the team and see if we can make edits to the list. 

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
36 of 43

Am I the only one who feels like I'm using an online version of the Mary Celeste ? Since Fabio's grand vision hit the dust and he fell on his sword there's been nothing, no announcements, no changes except useful things disappearing, and even the vaguely reassuring corporate shill Garner has vanished - is this the end?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
37 of 43

Garnor has vanished because he is trying to soothe ruffled feathers elsewhere - but it could also be that he likes his name spelt with an 'o'.

Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
38 of 43

@Ramon B wrote:

....Since Fabio's grand vision hit the dust and he fell on his sword there's been nothing, no announcements, no changes except useful things disappearing, and even the vaguely reassuring corporate shill Garner has vanished - is this the end?

Fabio had a grand vision? The only vision I've seen has been coming from the venture capital investors who run the board; their direction has been distinctly consistent—excepting only the occasional backtrack from the brink of disaster—from the last year or so of Fabio's tenure as CEO to the present day. 

Best to all,

MIchael

Josef M Member Since: Mar 27, 2015
39 of 43

I don't really mind or care when clients discriminate in their job posts. There must be reasons for this and a lot of them usually tell why. This type of discrimination exist because of incompetent freelancers. If you are one of those incompetent freelancers, then this is a good way to force you reflect on yourselves and on your attitude at work, like it did to me. Now my clients just keep coming back to me.

I never let words hurt me.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
40 of 43

"even the vaguely reassuring corporate shill Garner has vanished"

I heard he was accidentally standing inside a harmless forum post when he hit the delete button by force of habit...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS