Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow UW, just WOW! You REALLY messed up!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pia M Member Since: Feb 26, 2015
1 of 14

I had a milestone due 2 Sep, needed some additional info from the client in order to complete it, never got the replies I needed and wasn't able to continue. Yesterday he ended the contract and sent me a message to let me know, I was both surprised and angry, and though he gave me a 5 star feedback and even paid for the milestone I never completed, I left him an honest (and nasty) feedback based on his unresponsiveness.

The client went MIA after 26 Aug, or so I thought. Just as we were talking through UW messages yesterday, all his replies to my concerns magically appeared, all sent promptly way before the dead line between 31 Aug and 1 Sep.

Really UpWork, REALLY?!?! Messages appearing over 2 weeks after they were sent?!?!

I immediately contacted CS (which reacted fast, thank you for that) and asked to withdraw the review I just gave, hit enter probably 5s before the old messages popped up.

Luckily the client is very polite and understanding and we managed to reach a mutual understanding, but I can imagine not every client is as smart. Wonder how many others are affected by a major bug as this one and end up with uncompleted jobs and a bad feedback just because the platform is messed up.

This is unforgivable UW, you've really messed up big time!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nadav I Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
2 of 14

I'd like to add something to this complaint -

I am communicating with a long term client about our ongoing project, these are normal messages that I recieve and reply to from my normal freelancer account.

However, a couple of days ago, a reply from my client to a message I've sent, somehow appeared in my own client account's inbox, instead of my freelancer account's inbox, and therefore, missed.

I got the email notification, and could reply from the email, but couldn't find it anywhere in my inbox. It took me a while and finally I found out that the message inboxes got mixed up between my freelancer and client accounts.

Just a heads up for everyone, keep an eye on your own client account's inbox if you're missing any messages...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 14

At the moment, with messages being as unreliable as they are, the first thing to do is to exchange reliable means of communication (email / Skype) and not rely on Upwork messages until they have been fixed.

I have to say that both the mobile app and the tracker message function seem to be reliable. The actual normal message center is close to useless.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 14

Pia, If I were you I would get back in touch with Support ASAP and ask them to remove the comment you left in response to the client's feedback.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 14

Petra, I already did last night after the messages popped up, and again this morning as it's still visible.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 14

I am sure Pia is not the only one affected by this. I believe that something of this nature could serve to seriously affect those who had a similar experience's JS scores (I have not been affected). I do, however, wonder whether Upwork's algorithm will take instances such as this into account.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 14

Irene pointed out clearly what I was trying to say. I'm sure many are affected by this and don't enjoy the privilege of dealing with smart and reasonable clients. Those many others will get their eyebrows torched even when they weren't playing with fire in the first place.

I got of easy as the client could see clearly it was a system bug + other issues that resulted in failing the job --> we did also communicate by email, but right after he'd sent those magic messages in UW he experienced some health issues and was hospitalized so obviously couldn't reach him that way either. If only had those messages showed up promptly and not after two weeks, even a longer period of non-response would not have messed up the job.

These are things that just shouldn't happen.

I'm still waiting for CS to reply to my ticket from this morning; my nasty response to the client is still visible and for his sake I'd like to see that removed asap. He's one of the few decent (awesome!) clients I've worked with, I can sincerely say this now that I know he didn't go MIA on me, UpWork went MIA on him..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
8 of 14

Now that's really serious. I haven't had issues with the messaging system yet (luckily, it's still the old layout I had from before and I just dread the moment when it will be automatically switched to the new one).

But right now, considering this very serious issue with upwork, I think their concern with the 5-star rating and removing the client's history and so on, is just superfluous. There are serious platform issues, and yet Upwork is dealing with cosmetic changes!?! That's unacceptable, especially when it's disruptive to the workflow!

An aside: A tiny weeny advice. Usually, when a client doesn't talk to me, I just accept the situation, and give them some time. If they close the contract, alright. So be it. I usually leave respectful comments even if I share the truth (it's about diplomacy, yet honesty). I guess emotional feedback isn't helpful for either side. Again, that's a personal advice. You have all the right to disagree Smiley Happy When I don't know the full context, I don't draw conclusions and I keep my emotions for me until the situation has cleared. Smiley Happy But I suppose most people will approve such a nasty feedback. I don't know. Maybe it's only me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
9 of 14

Well regardless-they should enable her to change her feedback response because due to their technical issue she had this major misunderstanding with her client. Hope everything works out well. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 14

Everything worked out well between myself and the client; already talking about future cooperation.

The main issue here is that I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing these difficulties and others might not be as lucky as I am and end up in trouble due to technical failure.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS