cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing and design jobs

hlaine
HOLLY L Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
1 of 9

I'm pretty new to Upwork and am curious as to how these kinds of jobs work.  Let's say it's a job in photoshop, and the potential client has a photo uploaded.  Or if someone needs a paper edited and has the paper up already.  Should I do part of the work and attach it in a file?  I'm a little confused.  I'm not talking about after you've been hired, but when you send the initial proposal. 

Thanks in advance

maheshajwani
Community Guru
Mahesh A Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
2 of 9

@HOLLY L wrote:

I'm pretty new to Upwork and am curious as to how these kinds of jobs work.  Let's say it's a job in photoshop, and the potential client has a photo uploaded.  Or if someone needs a paper edited and has the paper up already.  Should I do part of the work and attach it in a file?  I'm a little confused.  I'm not talking about after you've been hired, but when you send the initial proposal. 

Thanks in advance

Hi Holly,

Sometimes clients just wants to give you an idea of what kind of work you will be doing by uploading a Photo or paper so I think you should do a sample only when client asked you to do that in the job description.

If you do it for every job it will take time meanwhile it’s possible that the job will be given to other freelancers.

hlaine
3 of 9

yeah, that would be a lot of work.  I am just struggling to get jobs.  I managed to get one, but nobody else seems to be responding. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

Ideally you should be able to point to something in your portfolio that represents similar work to what is being requested. Otherwise, you will end up giving away your work for free in the form of samples. 

Read these tips too:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/m-p/21467#U21467

View solution in original post

hlaine
5 of 9

Ahh, okay.  I don't really have a lot of work to show.  I don't have a very extensive work history, so I don't really have anything to put in my portfolio.  I'm thinking that maybe I can upload more of my school papers that I did well on, but other then that, I'm not really sure what to do. 

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
6 of 9

@HOLLY L wrote:

Should I do part of the work and attach it in a file? 

No. Do not do any work before you get hired (and have escrow funded if the job is fixed price). Clients will take advantage of you.

hlaine
7 of 9

Indeed.  I can see that being a problem.  I'm very new to this site and don't have much of a work history, so getting accepted for jobs has been hard. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 9

@HOLLY L wrote:

Indeed.  I can see that being a problem.  I'm very new to this site and don't have much of a work history, so getting accepted for jobs has been hard. 

If you don't have a lot of professional experience in the skill you're plying (for example, writing), try to target jobs that relate to an area of expertise for another reason. For example, if you're having difficulty getting writing jobs, target writing jobs that relate to your undergraduate major, or for which you can draw on other work experience to have a greater grasp of the material than the average writer would.

You might also consider creating a couple of pieces just for your portfolio/to send out as samples.  

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 9

Holly,

Echoing Tiffany, writing (a.k.a. "content," a.k.a. "bombast") is a commodity, and sells at commodity prices. Expertise is what delivers the skills and pays the bills. Find or develop a niche where you can attract clients worthy of your time.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS