🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Writing course
Page options
ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Writing course

Hi.

Any one can please guide me about free writing skills course with certificate. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Asifa, unless you master English first, you will be wasting your money on a writing course, unless it combines  English grammar and sentence structure. Most Udemy courses offer certificates of completion not certificates of excellence, which is a completely different thing.  I checked one writing course almost a 5-star course, but you don't get that much value for money. 

ETA: You might find Coursera is a better option:  https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=writing

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Please any one guide me to solve my problem 

Asifa, I would suggest that before you do a writing course you do an English certificate course that will take you through grammar basics and sentence structure.  The Cambridge courses are accepted here on Upwork and are excellent: 

Check this out (you have to scroll down to find the course that would best suit you): https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-tests/qualifications/general/

spxpert
Community Member

first of all,  it's not a problem,  It's a challenge.  Nichola has suggested some really great courses,  consider taking one of them if you can.

elisa_b
Community Member

I don't know if "free writing skills course with certificate" actually exist, but even if they did, what would their quality or credibility be? 

It's hard to find somebody willing to give you something valuable for free in this world.

If you want to pursue this career, you might want to take into consideration paid courses instead. 

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

I agree with you Elisa. But may be somebody know about it. It can help a lot of people who really need it. 

That is exactly Elisa's point, if such a course exists the quality is questionable and may not really help!!! 

You can try Udemy, they have many courses at very low prices, but again those are just self-published courses anyone can publish a course on Udemy. 

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

I browse udemy. There prices are low just because of black friday. 

elisa_b
Community Member

You can try them - but probably they will remain cheap courses of questionable value. 

At this point, my question is: are you looking for a certificate to impress clients?

will remain low through out the year

spxpert
Community Member

they have deals every day 🙂 i get message that only last 24 hours remains,  almost daily 

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

I'm looking for a course to learn more skills of writing along with certificate. 

Asifa, unless you master English first, you will be wasting your money on a writing course, unless it combines  English grammar and sentence structure. Most Udemy courses offer certificates of completion not certificates of excellence, which is a completely different thing.  I checked one writing course almost a 5-star course, but you don't get that much value for money. 

ETA: You might find Coursera is a better option:  https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=writing

Nichola You always suggest a good way to sort out my problem. I'm very thankful to you. My writing skills are good enough, as I have a master's in English. The reason I have a certificate is to enhance my profile.

elisa_b
Community Member

Asifa K wrote:

I'm looking for a course to learn more skills of writing 

Just above you said you want to learn more skills, and here you say your "writing skills are good enough". I am a bit confused.

Anyway, do you want to improve your profile? Work on your portfolio, then. If you are already a good writer, a great text is always better than a certification. Just prove what you are capable of, clients want to see how you write, not how many courses you took.

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Elisa I have a Master's degree, but somehow I think something is going to be missed. So I want a certificate to enhance my profile as well as my skills. The learning process never stops; it just keeps going.

spxpert
Community Member

Asifa,  here is what I can suggest.

- You can not learn to swim without getting into the water.  So if you have to enhance your writing, the first thing you will have is to read a lot (books, newspapers, magazines),  and then you have to write a lot (blogs, articles, stories).

- Look if you can do any certifications that prove your skills as a writer.

- There is no harm in browsing through some courses on Udemy,  they are very cost-effective and you will definitely learn something.

- Listen to Podcasts,  there are some podcasts that actually read good blog articles ( search for Optimal Living Daily, and Optimal Finance Daily they have a series of podcasts for specific topics).  This will help you in understanding the writing styles of different bloggers.

"Repetition is the only proven way of getting better at anything",  so your goal would be to write anything daily (1 paragraph, your thoughts,  your daily journal, one page,  one blog even discussions on Upwork).  Just anything without putting any judgment.

Hope this helps...

elisa_b
Community Member

The quality of such low-cost courses still remains questionable to me - maybe they offer appropriate content and indications, but in order to learn writing (in the way you mean this) it is necessary to have guidance from a teacher. I saw copywriting courses where participants had to create their own content and teachers were there to give suggestions, point out errors and help people to improve.

Taking an online self-learning course may just mean learning something new, but without any clear indication about the quality of the results. That said, I completely understand if there is little to no money to invest. 

bbd155ce
Community Member

Certainly! I can provide you with some guidance on writing courses.

Firstly, it's important to identify your target audience and their needs. Are you creating a course for beginners or advanced writers? What are the topics and skills that they are interested in learning?

Once you have identified your target audience, you can focus on creating an outline of the course. This will help ensure that you cover all of the necessary topics and that the course flows logically and effectively.

When developing your course, consider a variety of teaching strategies such as lectures, interactive exercises, writing assignments, and discussions. This can help engage learners and ensure they are able to fully comprehend the concepts being taught.

Additionally, be sure to incorporate clear and concise writing guidelines throughout the course. This will help students learn how to effectively communicate their thoughts and ideas on paper.

Overall, the key to creating a successful writing course is to tailor it to the needs of your target audience and provide a variety of teaching strategies to engage learners and promote effective writing skills

You dug up an old thread and posted an AI-generated response that has nothing to do with the question that was asked (she was enquiring about taking a writing course, not creating one). Just... why???

Because he is "a genius", according to his profile

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members